Am I overreacting? *Need to rant* | ExpatWoman.com

Am I overreacting? *Need to rant*

Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 11:01

Just a little background to put everything in perspective. I am a full time working mom of a 2 year old. DS goes to nursery, and my MIL stays with us looking after him till I get back from work. Once I am back at 5, I take care of DS. Over the last few months, I have had a lot of disagreements with MIL about our different parenting styles, I believe in discipline, routines, and boundaries, where as her style is more of over indulgence. For her, setting boundaries is something that is hard to come by.

I am expecting baby No 2, so DH and me are also in the process of getting DH more involved in night time parenting - getting DS to bed, seeking comfort in case he gets up at night (occasional), etc. I am also in the process of weaning him. DH is currently travelling. DS woke up last night at 3:30 looking for daddy and was upset when daddy wasn't there. He looked for the breast which I didn't offer him. He was hysterical so the grandmother offered to help to put him to sleep while I rested. I woke up 10 minutes later to kitchen noises and found grandmom making toast and (baby) tea for DS along with biscuits and raisins (of all the things) that were offered to DS. When I asked, her response was that DS asked for it!

I was furious to say the least as I am very meticulous about dental hygiene and don't allow anything after brushing. I also don't want to encourage midnight snacks in my 2 year old! There is a time for everything, and middle of the night is definitely not the time for eating. DS had a decent dinner, before going to bed at 8. In case, DS gets hungry the only thing I allow after brushing is milk if he rinses his mouth after that... something I have told my MIL before!

I keep thinking about this incident and am finding it difficult to put it behind me! Is my reaction exaggerated? Maybe the pregnancy hormones are playing a part...

Latest post on 11 February 2014 - 13:21
Don't get me wrong, my children were blessed with grandparents who adored my children. My mum is the only one left now and is dearly loved by her 3 grandchildren who are now 34, 31 and 19. My 2 were distraught when my dad and parents in law died and cherish the years of love and fond memories. During their early childhood however, my MIL was a nightmare and undermined me at every opportunity and thought nothing of making "jokey" comments about how hopeless I was and telling my toddler DD that "mummy hasn't got a clue" DD of course soon got the idea that grandma had the last say in everything! I walked out of my in laws home a few times before I said something we'd all regret. Fortunately my DH knew exactly what his mum could be like and had apparently been equally controlling with her much younger SIL when she had her family. There were a few occasions when my DH drove to his parents home and ticked them off soundly. His sister was still living there at the time and was equally annoying. My inlaws had the attitude that in their home, it was their rules that went. We had a period of several weeks where we just stayed away and they got the message. Grandparents are indeed a blessing but sometimes they do need to learn about boundaries. I loved my MIL to pieces but could have choked her 30 odd years ago :)
Latest post on 11 February 2014 - 12:14
glad u see how blessed you are! the amount of nights I've woken up and wished someone else was there to help me and DH with DD's night screams!
Latest post on 11 February 2014 - 11:48
I think, DH needs to talk to his mom and talk about boundaries. I remember talking to my mom when I was home, when she told me off for scolding DD. I used this, 'remember how you feel when your mom told you off when you told my older brother off' line. She hated it. But she now knows her line.:D Try that. It may work.
Latest post on 11 February 2014 - 10:29
It sounds like you are doing a great job of managing extended family living. I totally hear you on the weaning, it can be so hard, particularly the older they get. All they want is mummy but mummy infuriates them when the breast is not forthcoming! Good luck, I hope it's sorted soon.
Latest post on 11 February 2014 - 09:52
Thanks ladies. Very interesting replies which gave me a lot of different insight into the situation. To answer my own question, YES I was overreacting... it had more to do with being up since 3:30, being hormonal and missing DH in desperate times. In hindsight, the incident should not even be a blip on my radar and I can totally understand as to how my reaction was over exaggerated.... The only drawback was that my DS was wide awake after the snack and didn't sleep at all which left me seriously sleep deprived :( To all the ladies who suggested I handle things myself if I have a preference of how it should be done, I agree whole heartedly. I much prefer to do things on my own with DS especially if I am particular about something. Only in this case, DS was not getting comforted by me as he wanted the breast (we are in the process of weaning), and asked for his grandmother in his father's absence, so I had no choice :(. Mrsb, JoyceB, thanks for understanding. Yes, my MIL is staying permanently with us and we have had our differences in the past. Now, we have reached a stage where if I want something done in a particular way, I do it myself. I am glad when I get help and don't expect much for how it is done... still pretty much work in progress though. Irooni, Daza, your posts are wonderful, I always try and keep it in mind that how nice it is for my DS to be looked after by family. It gives a very different perspective to the whole situation.... my MIL is wonderful with my son, and I can never be grateful enough for that. Unfortunately, we do have serious boundary issues, partly due to MIL's personality, and partly due to DH. My MIL likes to be involved in everything, from our house maintenance to the schools I would be putting DS in.... something I am not a big fan of. Again, thanks to all the ladies who posted with their views, it is good to get different opinions on subject. dolleymadison , your response was totally out of line - are you preggers too? lolz.
Latest post on 11 February 2014 - 09:30
Love your posts DesertRose1958 :) Just been researching Jordans Eyes from another recent thread. It sounds really good.Thanks
Latest post on 11 February 2014 - 09:20
Blimey, I have to say my sympathies and respect are with granny, she must be really hard core if her first instinct in the middle of the night is to go to the kitchen and not straight back into bed with the wee one. Its what I would do. I'd 'heat them up' back to sleep with a bear hug, one of those ones where you're leg is over them as well so they cant move an inch. A very ample bosom also helps in that the wee one is snuggled into it and out for the count before your false teeth have sunk to the bottom of the glass on your bedside table. That said, I can kind of see where mum is coming from as well. Maybe its just the way things were explained in the OP that can make it come across to some of us as not very nice. We live as an extended family on a day to day basis though we have our own homes, we make mistakes, we take the pee out of each other because of that and the 'daft ideas' we can each have, we listen, we learn, we make allowances and turn a blind eye or hold a tongue when need be. We don't fall out. Its not worth it. It really is not worth it. I find there are even words for things that years ago we just knew was part and parcel of a baby being a baby, things that weren't even mentioned because they just happened naturally - last week I had to google 'acquisition' because I had no clue what it meant in relation to my 10 week old grandson. Five children and 4 grandchildren and it still a learning curve, I honestly did not know a baby could be unsettled during feeding because it was going through an acquisition period. A sore belly, yes. An acquisition period, no. I just always thought they could be unsettled during a feed just because they liked looking around them. :D <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 11/02/2014</em>
Latest post on 11 February 2014 - 07:25
Isn't it a matter of where you personally decide to draw the line though kiwispiers? Some might think you are over reacting with regards to what food you allow your MIL to give your son, whereas for you it's something you don't make exceptions for. For the OP, giving food at night is non negotiable, should she not be allowed to make that call? I'm sure I over react with regards to my children all time, all part of being a parent I think.
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 22:25
Yes you are over reacting I think we are all guilty of this especially when it comes to MILs as we tend to bite out tongues a lot more than we do with our own mums and so eventually a straw will break the camels back so to speak. I think when parenting styles clash you can't really expect someone to discipline more, it never really works. For example as much as I respect every mothers right to parent, if I was baby sitting a sleep trained baby and they woke, there is no way I would leave them to cry. When someone is doing you a favour, you can't really dictate too much on how exactly they should do that favour. Maybe buy MIL a nice gift and thank her for all her help, if she feels appreciated she might actually be more inclined (less stubborn) about taking a bit of direction. I know in times of tiredness I have been an ungrateful brat to my own mum and I really upset my Mil last Christmas when I said no to the special dessert she had planned for my son and gave her grief over giving him a flavoured ice block ) we are super strict about food colouring and flavouring as my son has intolerances and we don't make exceptions) so I totally understand where you are coming from and am not judging, but as an outsider, yes, you are over reacting :)
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 22:24
I think that clearly, some women do not deserve the help that is given to them by MIL's. Children are very fortunate when they are born in a family where they are brought up by a 'family'. Actually, mother doesm't always know best! I don't think it's not deserve, more understand. Yes the extended family is a dying breed especially for expats. True LC in the past before the Information Age at ones finger tips most new mums learnt from their Mums or Gran's . Some of the advice was cods wallop but my no nonsense Gran was a mine of useful information, folks would come to her from far and wide. I can't but help seeing in my minds eye this gran at the table with LO giving it tea and toast........let's not forget no matter what age our children and grand children are our fist motherly instinct is to nurture and feed then..........conjures up a lovely picture, for me at any rate. <em>edited by Nomad on 10/02/2014</em>
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 22:22
I think that clearly, some women do not deserve the help that is given to them by MIL's. Children are very fortunate when they are born in a family where they are brought up by a 'family'. Actually, mother doesm't always know best! I don't think it's not deserve, more understand. Yes the extended family is a dying breed especially for expats. True, and maybe also a case of not appreciating what you have until you don't / can't have it any more.
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 22:07
I think that clearly, some women do not deserve the help that is given to them by MIL's. Children are very fortunate when they are born in a family where they are brought up by a 'family'. Actually, mother doesm't always know best! I don't think it's not deserve, more understand. Yes the extended family is a dying breed especially for expats.
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 22:04
I think that clearly, some women do not deserve the help that is given to them by MIL's. Children are very fortunate when they are born in a family where they are brought up by a 'family'. Actually, mother doesm't always know best!
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 22:02
I think you should apologise to your MIL and sit down and talk through parenting methods and listen to her advice and ideas, after all she brought up the man you married so can not be that bad. Totally over dramatic responses from your post. Many new and first time mums believe parenting is all about routine and regimental response to problems, with their way being better than any other way. Ask any mum who is on number 2, 3 or 4 how their parenting became more laid back and less regimented. Your post actually show that your MIL obviously loves you deeply, you should think about that.
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 22:00
I think that some of you ladies really are suffering from a MIL complex. Yes, I'm sure that some people do have real problems with MILs from cultures where family is more important than the individual and the senior female figure rules the roost, but from everything the OP says this was a case of a an upset child being comforted by a granny. And, I sat on my hands earlier on today when I first read the post but I will say it now.................the OP is at work all day, expecting and as a result too tired to take care of her child at night. Just how do you suppose her child feels about that? Probably just glad that granny was there to give comfort. To the OP, given that you are so stressed out, perhaps time to re evaluate your do it by the book parenting, and stop being a drama queen, pregnancy hormones or not. ????
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 22:00
Agree certain boundaries must be set but child rearing is not a science. Many moms with a screaming child in the dead of night who has to get up for work next morning would be only to happy to hand over to anyone who could calm the child down. Milk and cookies/ tea and toast in the middle of the night is hardly the worst that could happen to calm a child down. The end result OP got some sleep LO calmed down and I assume went back to sleep. There is always a middle ground , if your MIL is a permanent fixture and will be responsible for child care then it is time to put the cards on the table and work out some sort of plan. With Lo2 arriving the load will increase and not the right time to get into a state about what MIL can and can't do.
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 21:53
I think that some of you ladies really are suffering from a MIL complex. Yes, I'm sure that some people do have real problems with MILs from cultures where family is more important than the individual and the senior female figure rules the roost, but from everything the OP says this was a case of a an upset child being comforted by a granny. And, I sat on my hands earlier on today when I first read the post but I will say it now.................the OP is at work all day, expecting and as a result too tired to take care of her child at night. Just how do you suppose her child feels about that? Probably just glad that granny was there to give comfort. To the OP, given that you are so stressed out, perhaps time to re evaluate your do it by the book parenting, and stop being a drama queen, pregnancy hormones or not.
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 21:37
I think you are very lucky and don't know it. You are leaving your child with your mother in law, instead of a nanny or maid. She maybe your mother in law ( that most of us dread ;) but she is the child's grandmother and has genuine love for him. She is not hired help to be left with set instructions. She is family and has parented before. The couple of hours, between nursery and the time you get home, you should just trust her! End of! If you can't, then you should reevaluate your options. No matter how tired you were last night, you had the option of taking care of DS yourself. She "HELPED" you, so no matter what she did, I would just let it pass and move on. Next time do it yourself, then there would be no issue. I am sorry but I have no tolerance for mums, who have help from families, and don't realize how lucky they are. I had zero help during my pregnancies and the years the children were young, and think the ones who have it should be grateful for it. Looking at it from another perspective, should the MIL not also be grateful that she gets to spend so much time with her grandchild? Many grandparents don't get to see their grandchildren on a yearly, let alone daily basis. My in-laws see their grandchildren twice a year, they would consider anyone who gets to see their grandchildren on a daily basis as very very lucky. I struggle with my MIL trying to take over with the children when she is here on short visits. If the OP has her MIL living with her full time is it not understandable that she wants to be able to draw certain boundaries with regards to the way she wants to raise her child?
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 21:36
nams_new sorry but I think you are over reacting possibly due your hormones at the moment. I would have been eternally grateful if my MIL had of shown any interest in helping with my children........now as a MIL who is very hands on ( both son and DIL work odd hours) and I pick up the slack whenever needed.My DIL is the envy of most of her friends as I love having my Grandkids but we both respect there are boundaries. As Irooni says there are many out there who would be so grateful for a loving grandmas help in the middle of the night and believe me your child won't get rotten teeth from a few nights of milk and cookies. I had many a picnic on my bed in the middle of the night calming a very unhappy little soul who suffered from severe night terrors.Your children will thank you one day as they have had the opportunity to have their grandma in their lives to show them love and a safe set of arms for comfort. If she oversteps her boundaries sit down with Dh and MIL and calmly discuss what is bothering you ,don't let it boil over into something ugly. As Oopsidaisy says one day you too will be a MIL with very definite ideas about child rearing which will be out of date but it worked for your kids........;)
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 21:04
OP, the problem with accepting "unpaid" family help is that you cannot necessarily dictate how the family is approaching the way they raise your kid. Sure, you have the right to be upset, you have explained how you want your DS to be raised. However you have to accept your MIL does it differently. All MIL's do, so will you 40 years from now. So if you have a problem with MIL hire professional help. I really think that it is a bit derogatory to call a MIL 'unpaid help'!!! For some reason in this society, money seems to play a part in everything. I see this as a case of MIL doing her best to keep a screaming child quiet in the middle of the night, so that her DIL could have a good sleep, as she is pregnant and also working. Don't you think that this was an act of kindness? Yes there are many ways to bring up children, and I know that nowadays stricter routines are the order of the day but there are also times when so-called rules may be broken with no long term damage. edited by Pink Lily on 10/02/2014 Aren't we saying the same here? Isn't "unpaid help" the equivalent of volunteering in this case? As you I'm of the opinion OP should be grateful to her MIL. Sorry if my post suggested differently by a wrong choice of words.
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 19:26
I think you are very lucky and don't know it. You are leaving your child with your mother in law, instead of a nanny or maid. She maybe your mother in law ( that most of us dread ;) but she is the child's grandmother and has genuine love for him. She is not hired help to be left with set instructions. She is family and has parented before. The couple of hours, between nursery and the time you get home, you should just trust her! End of! If you can't, then you should reevaluate your options. No matter how tired you were last night, you had the option of taking care of DS yourself. She "HELPED" you, so no matter what she did, I would just let it pass and move on. Next time do it yourself, then there would be no issue. I am sorry but I have no tolerance for mums, who have help from families, and don't realize how lucky they are. I had zero help during my pregnancies and the years the children were young, and think the ones who have it should be grateful for it.
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 15:24
I don't think you are over reacting, given you are pregnant AND in the process if weaning I'd say you are reacting in a way quite consistent with hormones :) Does your MIL live with you full time?
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 15:18
OP, the problem with accepting "unpaid" family help is that you cannot necessarily dictate how the family is approaching the way they raise your kid. Sure, you have the right to be upset, you have explained how you want your DS to be raised. However you have to accept your MIL does it differently. All MIL's do, so will you 40 years from now. So if you have a problem with MIL hire professional help. I really think that it is a bit derogatory to call a MIL 'unpaid help'!!! For some reason in this society, money seems to play a part in everything. I see this as a case of MIL doing her best to keep a screaming child quiet in the middle of the night, so that her DIL could have a good sleep, as she is pregnant and also working. Don't you think that this was an act of kindness? Yes there are many ways to bring up children, and I know that nowadays stricter routines are the order of the day but there are also times when so-called rules may be broken with no long term damage. <em>edited by Pink Lily on 10/02/2014</em>
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 15:11
This will be an existing problem as long as you have the free baby sitting from your MIL. everything in life comes with a price, you can pay a baby sitter salary for someone whom will do what you wish, Or just enjoy the free baby sitting from your MIL and can not say no for her as she is doing you a favour (taking care of your LO) This will be always there, nothing will stop it, so overreacting or not, still will be a problem. I can feel your pain, being not the primary person for your children for asking things, and others conceder you are okay with things, and assume your permission is already there... and your DH will never ever stand against his mother and tell her no. so OP you know what to do, either way you are paying, one is money the other is your self esteem, your choice.
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 14:57
Think you are totally overreacting. First of all, your MIL got up *in the middle of the night* to **help you** so you could rest. If there was no other way to calm him, then so be it. Second, one midnight snack won't kill your 2 year old. Third, the role of grandmothers is to spoil their grandchildren. You'll learn that eventually. To me, you sound like a horrible, ungrateful, Momzilla. Your children won't benefit from your controlling ways. Agree, if you don't like it, do it yourself.
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 14:55
I would have been ticked off. Anyway, my MIL has done much worse than that and the only way I could avoid it was by not letting her take the kids. She quickly got the message.
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 14:36
She fed your son biscuits and raisins! Not chocolate ice cream. If you don't like it, you should have gotten out of bed and looked after your DS yourself.
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 14:31
Wow! I would have been a bit annoyed if my MIL went against my wishes having been told that snacks in the middle of the night were not on. She did on a number of occasions. Grandparents are for spoiling?? Yes, to an extent but certainly not if they persistently go against parents wishes. I let a few things slip but not with food as I knew that some things upset my DS especially. MIL was told that as much as he loved orange squash, too much made him very sick. She ignored me and on one occasion that she cared for both of our children while we went house hunting, we returned to find our DS wrapped in a blanket while she frantically tried to dry his washed clothing and her lounge carpet! She got the message! You need to talk to your MIL and tell her that as much as you appreciate that she has raised her own family, this is your DS and you have your own ideas.
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 13:05
you may be slightly overacting but I'd too be unhappy if my DD was being given food in the middle of the night. Would MIL be OK if you had a chat with her about it? If not, you should get up in the night yourself with DS and deal with it that way. Good Luck and don't stress over it, your pregnant!
Latest post on 10 February 2014 - 12:46
OP, the problem with accepting "unpaid" family help is that you cannot necessarily dictate how the family is approaching the way they raise your kid. Sure, you have the right to be upset, you have explained how you want your DS to be raised. However you have to accept your MIL does it differently. All MIL's do, so will you 40 years from now. So if you have a problem with MIL hire professional help.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY