23 August 2016
Chickpea, Barley and Zucchini Salad
1. Trim the ends of your zucchini, and cut in half crosswire. Then grab a knife to cut the zucchini into thin matchsticks and place in a colander in the sink. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and then let sit for 20-30 minutes.
2. Boil a medium pot of water, add the salt and the barley then cook, stirring occassionally. This can take between 15-20 minutes. Drain and then set aside once done.
3. Meanwhile, make your dressing in a small bowl, whisking together lemon juice, vinegar and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Slowly whisk in your olive oil, and then leave to the side.
4. Grab a larger bowl, and combine the chickpeas, barley and about half of your dressing. If the barley is hot, let the mixture sit while it warms. Then, squeeze your zucchini to make sure any excess moisture is removed, and add to your bowl with the rest of your dressing and the freshly chopped mint.
5. Stir and serve! You could even add some feta cheese over the top.
This recipe makes 2 services as a main dish, or 4 servings as a side dish.
Join the Conversation