19 October 2014
Courgette, red pepper and three cheese bake
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees, or 170 degrees fan oven.
2. First prepare the ingredients. Peel the onions and garlic, and chop the onions into small pieces. Deseed the peppers and chop into thin strips. Wash the courgettes, cut in half lengthways and slice. Wash and chop the parsley, basil and chives. Halve the cherry tomatoes. Cut the feta cheese into small cubes and grate the cheddar.
3. Place the bulgur wheat into a bowl, pour on 500 ml of boiling water, add a pinch of salt and stir. Cover and leave to stand for 20 minutes.
4. Heat the sunflower oil in a large pan and cook the onions gently for 5 minutes, or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add the sliced peppers and the crushed garlic and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Season well with black pepper. Then mix in the courgettes and cook over a low heat, stirring gently, for 10-15 minutes, until the courgettes are soft but still in whole pieces. Finally, stir in the basil and chives.
5. Drain the bulgur wheat after the 20 minute standing time, then fluff up with a fork and mix in the tomato puree, soy sauce and parsley. Press down evenly into the base of an oven proof dish. Tip the cooked courgette mixture into the dish and spread it on top of the bulgur wheat.
6. Break the eggs into a bowl and beat them together, then stir in the cottage cheese and just 40g of the cheddar cheese. Season with black pepper and fold in the feta cubes. Pour the mixture into the dish on top of the courgettes.
7. Place the halved tomatoes cut side up on the top and scatter on the reserved cheese and a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds. Bake for 45 minutes covered with foil, then cook for another 15-20 minutes uncovered, until the cheese on top is golden and bubbling.
This lovely vegetarian bake, perfect for cheese lovers, has an unusual base of bulgur wheat, something I haven’t cooked with before; it is surprisingly tasty, light and fluffy, but also quite filling. Served with a crisp salad, it is a really delicious dish for lunch or supper; it will also keep in the fridge and reheat well the next day.
This recipe will make enough for 4-6 people.