21 January 2015
Grilled fruit kebabs with honey and yogurt
1. Soak the skewers in cold water to prevent them from burning. Preheat the grill.
2. Peel the pineapple and chop the ring into 8 equal segments, cutting off any hard core from the centre. Peel, halve and stone the mango, then cut each half into 4 pieces. Chop the banana into 8 chunks. [Or any other fruits that you prefer, although some fruits can become mushy when heated if you’re not careful.]
3. Thread the fruit onto the skewers in alternating pairs. It looks more appealing on the dish if you thread the fruits onto each skewer in the same order.
4. Drizzle a little runny honey onto the fruit and grill for about 5 minutes on each side, until the fruit begins to brown.
5. Meanwhile, mix the yoghurt with the runny honey in a small bowl to make the dip. Just before serving the fruit skewers, slice the passion fruit in half and scoop out the seeds on top of the yoghurt and honey to complete the dip.
We all know that fruit is a really healthy choice for dessert, but sometimes it doesn’t seem to us to be the most attractive option. Fruit kebabs are colourful and visually appealing, a welcome change from the usual fruit salad, and are a fun way to involve children in making a dessert that can be tailor made to include your family’s favourite fruit.
And they don’t have to be just for summer barbecues and picnics. Serve them in any season, as a healthy addition to buffets, as a juicy snack, or simply for a pudding. And they don’t need to be cold; hot, grilled fruits are really delicious!