22 May 2016
Hot Smoked Salmon with Asparagus
1. Halve the potatoes and cook them for 8-10 minutes in boiling lightly salted water until tender, drain, leave to steam for a few minutes then set aside to cool. 2. Meanwhile, cook the eggs in boiling water until hard boiled, leave to cool in cold water then peel.
3. To make the dressing, peel and chop the shallot very finely. Whisk together the mustard, olive oil, sugar, 2 tablespoons of juice from the lemon and a splash of cold water, then stir in the shallot. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
4. Snap off the woody ends from the asparagus stems then cut the spears diagonally into 3 pieces. Steam the asparagus over a pan of boiling water for only about 3 minutes, until just tender. Blanche in cold water.
5. Meanwhile, tear the lettuce leaves into pieces and place in a bowl. Peel and diagonally slice the spring onions, halve the olives, slice the radishes and mix them with the lettuce. Add the cooked potatoes and asparagus, pour in two thirds of the dressing and combine everything well together. Transfer it all onto a serving dish.
6. Break the cooked salmon fillets into large flakes. Cut the eggs lengthways into quarters. Arrange the salmon and eggs on top of the asparagus and potato salad then drizzle on the remaining dressing.
A light, fresh salmon salad, making the most of the delicious new asparagus and baby Jersey Royal potatoes now available, perfect for a quick summer lunch or simple tasty dinner.
I used hot smoked honey roast salmon fillets that were prepared and ready to eat, but you could pan fry fresh fillets of salmon instead if you prefer.
Makes 2 very generous portions.