28 September 2014
1. Cook the potatoes in a pan of slightly salted boiling water until tender. Drain. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy nonstick frying pan or saute pan and stir in the onions and lamb. Cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until the onions are softened and the lamb is slightly browned.
2. Stir in the aubergines, then cook over a fairly high heat for 3 minutes.
3. Add the cinnamon and season, then add the chopped tomatoes, stock and herbs. Stir well, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until cooked through and tender. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200C (180C fan oven), gas 6.
4. While the meat mixture is cooking, put the cornflour in a small pan and add 2tbsp milk. Stir until blended using a wooden spoon, then stir in the remaining milk. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, stirring until thickened. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir to cool a little. Beat in the egg and season with mustard, if sing, and salt and pepper.
5. Spoon the meat and aubergine mixture into a warm, shallow ovenproof dish and spread evenly. Lay the potato halves over the top, flat side up. Pour over the topping and sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake near the top of the oven for 20 minutes or until golden.
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes