9 June 2015
1. Cook the eggs in boiling water for 6 minutes then leave them to cool in cold water.
2. Top and tail the green beans, cut them in half diagonally, then steam for 3 minutes. Leave to cool.
3. Next make the salad dressing. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice. Peel and crush the garlic, place in a pestle and mortar and grind briefly with a little sea salt then add to the oil. Add a grinding of black pepper and mix briskly, then leave in the fridge.
4. Wash and pat dry the lettuce leaves then chop roughly into large pieces. Cut the cucumber in half lengthways, scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon and slice into pieces. Peel the half red onion and slice it thinly. Slice the radishes thinly too. Mix them all together in a large bowl, pour in the salad dressing and mix again. Arrange the salad in the serving bowl.
5. Peel the hard boiled eggs and cut them into quarters. Cut the tomatoes into quarters too. Drain the tuna and chop the olives in half. Arrange the pieces of egg, tomato and olive on top of the salad, along with the green beans and chunks of tuna.
6. Drain the anchovies and slice them in two lengthways, then arrange them on top of the salad. Finely chop the parsley and sprinkle on to garnish.
- If you’d rather not use tuna, omit it and add a few more anchovies. Using canned tuna is quick and easy, but for more formal occasions swap it for seared fresh tuna steak.
- To add carbohydrates and make a heartier meal, some recipes call for baby new potatoes, cooked and halved, as one of the ingredients. Or, try making your own croutons to scatter on top.
- Include your own favourite herbs, perhaps chives, mint or basil.
- Other suggestions for ingredients to add or to substitute for others include capers, finely chopped spring onions or a sliced red pepper.