7 December 2014
Pan fried Brussel sprouts with chestnut mushrooms
1. Remove the outer leaves of the Brussel sprouts and cut each one in half. Steam them for 5 minutes, or for another minute or two if they are very big ones.
2. Peel the shallots, cut in half and slice thinly. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and sauté the shallots over a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the brussels to the pan, turned so that the flat sides are face down. Cook gently for 5 minutes without turning, so that the cut sides of the sprouts begin to brown nicely.
4. Wash and slice the button mushrooms in half, add them to the pan and stir in with the other vegetables. Season well with salt and black pepper then pour in 80ml of cold water and cook for another 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the water has steamed away.
5. Finally, squeeze the juice from the lemon and sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of juice into the pan. Stir it into the brussel sprouts, then tip them into a warmed serving dish.
Are you looking for some new ideas for vegetables to accompany your Christmas turkey this year? Well, why not try these colourful and tasty dishes to replace the usual boiled or steamed Brussel sprouts and carrots on your table this Christmas, or at any time of the year!
These recipes will make 4 portions.