29 October 2015
1. Lightly grease a square cake tin and line with baking parchment. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees, or 140 degrees fan oven.
2. Put the sugar, treacle and golden syrup into a large saucepan. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the pan then melt everything over a low heat, stirring constantly to mix together. Make sure that the mixture doesn’t boil, turn off the heat once melted and combined.
3. Mix the oatmeal and flour in a large bowl, then stir in the baking powder and spices.
4. Add a couple of spoonfuls of the dry ingredients to the syrup mixture and stir in well, then repeat until everything is combined.
5. Beat the egg then add it to the mixture, a little at a time, then do the same with the milk, stirring constantly.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin: it will look quite wet at this stage. Bake for about 70 minutes, until it is firm to the touch and cooked through in the middle, but take care not to let it dry out too much.
7. Cool in the cake tin for a few minutes before allowing to cool on a wire rack.
You can also serve parkin as a delicious pudding; have it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a pool of toffee sauce, or lots of lovely custard!