21 April 2016
Red Thai chicken and vegetable soup with noodles
1. First prepare the vegetables. Slice the courgettes into short thin batons. Peel the carrots and slice them into short very thin batons. Slice the mange tout and the asparagus tips diagonally into 3 or 4 pieces. Chop the cabbage into short thin strips. Wipe and slice the mushrooms. 2. Thinly slice the chicken breasts.
3. Heat the oil in a large wok and stir fry the vegetables for 2-3 minutes. Add the crushed garlic and cook for a further minute.
4. Add the red Thai curry paste, stir into the vegetables and stir fry for another minute.
5. Pour in the coconut milk and the hot chicken stock then add the chicken strips and stir well. Bring to a simmer and cook for 7-8 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
6. In the last minute or two of cooking, stir in the fish sauce, brown sugar and a tablespoon of lime juice.
7. To serve, heat the rice noodles according to instructions and divide between 4 shallow bowls. Ladle the soup on top of the noodles and garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
This delicious spicy soup, made with Thai red curry paste, takes only a short time to prepare and is quite substantial when served with rice noodles, sufficient to serve as a meal.
It has lots of healthy vegetables, including mange tout, courgettes, carrots, asparagus, cabbage and mushrooms; just use whatever you have or particularly enjoy. Peas and green beans would work well too.
The soup already has quite a kick but, if you like it really hot, try adding some chopped fresh red chilli.