27 April 2016
Life is Sweet: 100 original recipes for happy home baking by Tarek Malouf and The Hummingbird Bakers (Fourth Estate, 2015)
Red Velvet Brownies
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F), Gas mark 4. Line the tin with non-stick baking parchment.
2. To make the brownie layer, melt the butter in a medium-sized heatproof glass bowl set over, but not touching, a pan of simmering water, then stir in the caster sugar and vanilla. Beat by hand until the mix is slightly thickened, then remove from the heat.
3. Using a freestanding electric mixer with the paddle attachment or a hand-held electric whisk, mix the cocoa powder, red food colouring and vinegar with the sugar and butter mixture and beat until incorporated. Add the eggs and beat until nice and smooth, then fold in the flour and salt.
4. Pour the red velvet batter into the prepared tin, saving about 60ml (2 fl oz) of the batter for the top and setting this aside.
5. To make the cream cheese layer, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract until smooth.
6. Spread the cream cheese over the raw red velvet layer, carefully smoothing it evenly. Dollop bits of the reserved red velvet batter onto the cream cheese layer and, using a skewer, swirl to make patterns.
7. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until the top is firm to the touch and just starting to go golden at the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before cutting.
We're sure you've wondered, just as we often have, what would happen if brownies were mixed with Red Velvet cake? The result will definitely please the Red Velvet lovers out there. And these brownies don't just taste amazing, but look great too, so be sure to get creative with your cream cheese topping swirling techniques!
Makes one 23 x 32cm (9 x 13in) tray, to slice as desired.
For more information about Hummingbird Bakery's Latest Offers click here.