17 December 2014
Roast aubergine and red onion tarts
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees, 180 degrees fan oven.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large roasting tin. Peel the onions, cut them in half and slice each half into four wedges. Toss the wedges in the oil and roast in the oven for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, trim the aubergines, slice them in half lengthways and chop each half into thick slices. Deseed the peppers and chop them into large pieces. Put the aubergines and peppers in the roasting tin with the onions, drizzle over the remaining tablespoon of oil and mix the vegetables together. Roast for a further 20 minutes, stirring halfway through the cooking time.
4. Pull the leaves from 2 sprigs of rosemary and sprinkle them into the roasting tin, along with the toasted pine nuts. Stir and cook for another 10 minutes.
5. Chop 6 or 7 sundried tomatoes. Remove the roasting tin from the oven, season well with salt and black pepper and stir in the sundried tomatoes.
6. Roll out the puff pastry into a sheet on a lightly floured surface. Make four circles by cutting around a small plate or saucer, about 14 cm in diameter. Spoon roasted vegetables onto the middle of each circle, leaving a rim around the edge.
7. Line a baking tray with baking parchment and transfer the tarts onto it. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the puff pastry is risen and golden brown.
These delicious individual savoury tarts are a great choice if you’re catering for vegetarians this Christmas, but you don’t need to be vegetarian to enjoy them!
Using ready-made puff pastry means that these tarts are very simple to make, keeping preparation time to the minimum, but the finished result is colourful and attractive on the plate, and really tasty!