26 February 2014
Spiced carrot and lentil soup
1. Soften the onion gently in the heated oil in a large saucepan for 2 minutes. Stir in the carrot, add the chopped chilli and crushed garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
2. Stir in the hot stock and bring to the boil. Add the well washed lentils, reduce to a simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes or until the vegetables and lentils are cooked.
3. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and simmer for a few more minutes.
4. Use a hand blender or food processor to blend the soup to a smooth consistency. Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, lemon juice and seasoning, then simmer gently for another 10 minutes.
5. Stir in the milk and the coriander. Bring to a simmer over a low heat.
6. Ladle the hot soup into bowls, spoon in a swirl of crème fraiche and serve.
This soup adds the kick of spices and fresh coriander to healthy carrots and lentils. The colour is really appealing, and children will enjoy the lack of obvious pieces of vegetable!