25 October 2015
Spicy Sausage, Bean and Tomato Casserole
1. Prick the sausages and grill them under a preheated grill, turning a few times, so that the outside of each sausage is completely browned. Remove onto a plate and set aside.
2. Prepare the vegetables. Peel and finely slice the onion. Wash and thinly slice the leek. Chop the peppers into quarters, remove the seeds and slice each quarter into strips. Deseed and finely chop the chilli. Wipe the mushrooms and halve or slice them thickly. Gently pull the leaves from the thyme sprigs and chop finely.
3. In a large casserole that can be used on the hob, heat the sunflower oil over a low heat. Sauté the onion gently for 5 minutes to soften it then add the leek and sliced peppers and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the chilli and the crushed garlic and stir for another 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the mushrooms and thyme to the casserole, along with the two types of paprika, and stir everything together. Tip in the chopped tomatoes and the mixed beans in chilli sauce, sprinkle in the sugar and stir again. Pour in the hot beef stock and bring to a simmer.
5. Cut each sausage diagonally into 3 or 4 pieces and add them into the casserole. Season with salt and black pepper and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 35 minutes, making sure that the sausages are cooked right through. Adjust the seasoning if necessary and serve.
- I used beef sausages, but you could easily replace them with your own favourite type.
- If you don’t have mixed beans in chilli sauce, just drain and wash your chosen can of beans and add a little more fresh chilli, or a few chilli flakes. Children might even like some baked beans in the casserole!