27 April 2016
Home Sweet Home by Tarek Malouf and The Hummingbird Bakers (Collins, 2013)
Strawberry Milkshake Cupcakes
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F), Gas mark 3, and line the muffin tins with paper muffin cases to make the number you require.
2. First make the sponge. In a freestanding electric mixer with the paddle attachment or using a hand-held electric whisk, mix the butter, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together until they form a crumb-like consistency.
3. In a jug, mix together the milk, eggs and strawberry milkshake powder by hand.
4, With the mixer or whisk on a slow speed, gradually pour half of the liquid into the crumb mixture and mix thoroughly until combined. Raise the speed to medium and beat until the batter is smooth and thick, with no lumps. Scrape down the sides of the bowl now and then. Once all lumps are gone, turn the speed back down and gradually pour in the remaining liquid, continuing to mix until the batter is smooth and combined.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared paper cases, filling them two-thirds full. Using a 50ml (1 ¾ fl oz) ice-cream scoop can make this process easier and will result in even cupcakes.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the sponge bounces back when lightly touched. Leave to cool slightly before removing from the tin and placing on a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
7. Using the freestanding electric mixer with the paddle attachment or the hand-held electric whisk, gradually mix the icing sugar and butter together on a low speed until combined and there are no large lumps of butter. In a jug, mix the milk and strawberry milkshake powder together. Gradually pour the liquid into the frosting, while mixing on a slow speed. When all the liquid is incorporated, turn the mixer up to a high speed and beat the frosting until light and fluffy.
8. Spoon generous amounts of the frosting onto each cupcake, then gently smooth over with a palette knife, making a swirl at the top if you wish. Top each cupcake with a sprinkling of strawberry milkshake powder.
Using real strawberries just does not work in this recipe; it needs the strawberry powder to unequivocally shout ‘milkshake’! Edible straws are available from specialist shops and will wow your friends and family, although these cakes are still utterly delicious without them.
Makes 12-16 cupcakes
For more information about Hummingbird Bakery's Latest Offers click here.