GEMS Education Dubai
recent threads recent posts Search posts faq rules
Home » Dubai & Northern Emirates » Dubai Zoo - Planning to go 1st time
Pages: 1 2

Diamante
Posts 2083

05/04/2011 14:40:18
How is it? Is it worth it?

Want to cross it off my list of things I've done here .

Plus my friend and her daughter are here on holiday, so planning on taking them.

cleanfreak
Posts 87

05/04/2011 14:43:00
heard bad press on Dubai zoo and that Al Ain zoo is better

snoop
Posts 244

05/04/2011 14:43:16
Dont do it...unless you want to see utter cruelty....

Green-ish
Posts 9419

05/04/2011 14:44:41
Cross it off your list now and drive the hour to Al Ain zoo instead.

dikane
Posts 872

05/04/2011 14:49:01
al ain definitely worth the drive - lovely day out.

sophia07
Posts 2273

05/04/2011 14:51:58
Take everyone's advice and head to Al Ain! No comparison and my daughter was actually very upset after her visit to Dubai Zoo! She thought some of them were dying and " very very sad"

AdviceSeeker
Posts 2235

05/04/2011 15:01:25
Dubai Zoo is horrible! Only go if you like seeing grown men throwing rocks at animals that are in cages far too small for them. I went unknowingly granted many years ago thinking it would be a nice day out for my son there were 6 Bengali Tigers in a cage that was a 4m x 4m. The enclosure for the giraffes wasn't tall enough so they had bent necks. It was very traumatic!

Al Ain Zoo on the other hand is great.
edited by AdviceSeeker on 05/04/2011

Diamante
Posts 2083

05/04/2011 15:09:40
Oh no!

Thanks for the advice.

I've now been on the net for a good location map, as never ventured out to Al Ain , and it'll just be the girlies in the car.

I haven['t got a clue and cant find a good location map, or I can't understand the one I've found...
I need a 'dummies guide' to Al Ain Zoo.

Do I need to worry about window wipers being pulled off by cheeky monkeys, or anything of that sort. Is it like a safari park, where you can see them from your car?

dikane
Posts 872

05/04/2011 15:17:16
LOL monkeys.

you dont drive through the al ain wildlife park, you walk. they have many shops for refreshments etc so dont worry, but be prepared, it's BIG. our first time there we got lost around the first roundabout, but phoned the park. the arabic gentlemen was extremely friendly & helpful and went out of his way to assist with directions. perhaps phone them beforehand, and then correlate what they said with the map you have?

enjoy!

guinness
Posts 2697

05/04/2011 15:17:33
Diamante wrote:
Oh no!

Thanks for the advice.

Do I need to worry about window wipers being pulled off by cheeky monkeys, or anything of that sort. Is it like a safari park, where you can see them from your car?

Uh, no. It's a zoo-like zoo.

srdoucet
Posts 1762

05/04/2011 15:20:45
I was going to say don't do it but every one else beat me to it.

Diamante
Posts 2083

05/04/2011 15:34:36
It's that bad??????

dikane
Posts 872

05/04/2011 15:47:52
yes, it's that bad unfortunately

Willamina De Vault
Posts 323

05/04/2011 15:49:18
Also try the Children's zoo near Yas Island. Its brand new so not everything is open yet but most of it is

TJC
Posts 96

05/04/2011 16:10:02
You will all enjoy Al Ain zoo. They have quite a few different baby animals at the moment too. That in itself shows that the animals are happy and well cared for, it has a very successful breeding programme. Dubai on the otherhand deserves to be in the Guinness book of records for one of the worst zoos in the world. I really can't believe it's still open. It would be kinder to put the poor animals out of their misery. So sad.

Green-ish
Posts 9419

05/04/2011 16:11:41
guinness wrote:
Diamante wrote:
Oh no!

Thanks for the advice.

LOL...that's not very nice g.

Green-ish
Posts 9419

05/04/2011 16:13:46
dikane wrote:
LOL monkeys.

you dont drive through the al ain wildlife park, you walk. they have many shops for refreshments etc so dont worry, but be prepared, it's BIG. our first time there we got lost around the first roundabout, but phoned the park. the arabic gentlemen was extremely friendly & helpful and went out of his way to assist with directions. perhaps phone them beforehand, and then correlate what they said with the map you have?

enjoy!

Overpriced, cr*ppy refreshments though. I'd suggest taking a picnic...there are loads of lovely lawn areas where you can sit under the trees and relax. Have lots of ice in your esky and leave it in the car as you can go back and get it when you're ready to eat.

Hello.Again.Kitty
Posts 2043

05/04/2011 16:14:42
Willamina De Vault wrote:
Also try the Children's zoo near Yas Island. Its brand new so not everything is open yet but most of it is

Is that the "Childrens' Park/Zoo"?

We went and it was kind of nice, but again, the enclosures were small and some of the animals were presenting very strange behaviour. Al Ain is by far the best and is the only one I actually feel comfortable about as the animals have great facilities and look really happy and well looked after.

busybee2
Posts 11579

05/04/2011 16:17:06
Diamante wrote:
How is it? Is it worth it?

Want to cross it off my list of things I've done here .

Plus my friend and her daughter are here on holiday, so planning on taking them.

no dont go, go to al ain zoo instead.

Sabrina H
Posts 689

05/04/2011 16:18:58
Definitly dont do Dubai Zoo....its horrible!

Al Ain Zoo on the other hand is great. Its quite easy to find, just head towards al Ain, then follow the brown signs for Al Ain Wildlife park. You can spend a good 4-5 hours there, but I would say get there early as most of the big cats take afternoon naps so you wont see them.

Alternatively there is the Sharjah animal wildlife park which has a petting zoo which would be great for the children. Also Posh paws have a petting zoo I believe.

The there is also the desert ranch that has lots of animals such as camels, horses, donkeys, goats etc. They have quite a few activities for kids and adults...www.desert-ranch.com

Hope this helps.

snoop
Posts 244

05/04/2011 16:34:39
Rocking demented animals, some have sores on their tails and feet, ridiculously small inhumane cages, animals like bears and tiges suffering this heat without any proper airconditioned enclosures.....it is too cruel for words, I cant even drive by without my heart sinking. Poor,poor things-I was new here and went...I will never forget what i saw.

guinness
Posts 2697

05/04/2011 16:41:37
Green-ish wrote:
guinness wrote:
Diamante wrote:
Oh no!

Thanks for the advice.

LOL...that's not very nice g.

At least I didn't LOL at the monkeys like dikane!

salsB
Posts 8468

05/04/2011 17:30:18
Havent been to Dubai Zoo but DD has, she was appaulled. I wonder If there are any worldwide charities that would help and assist it getting the animals better treatment.

shazman
Posts 2252

05/04/2011 17:38:38
salsB wrote:
Havent been to Dubai Zoo but DD has, she was appaulled. I wonder If there are any worldwide charities that would help and assist it getting the animals better treatment.

I have been here for 7 years and for all that time people have tried and tried to help Dubai Zoo. I am not sticking up for the place, but it was started off for a private collection of a few animals, he died and bequeathed it to Dubai (sure he would be turning in his grave now). Anyway it then became a dumping ground for people who became bored/realised that the cute tiger cub grows up into a not so friendly wild animal.

There was talk of it moving to Mushrif park then to Dubailand but it never happened. Very sad place for animals to be. :-((

Hello.Again.Kitty
Posts 2043

05/04/2011 17:38:46
salsB wrote:

apparently it's *just* a space issue - they're in a quite central location and can't expand, which leave the only humane solution of reducing the number of animals on show... but hey...

Chocs01
Posts 4776

05/04/2011 17:42:23
You know they've been promising a new location for Dubai Zoo for years now and I wish they would just get on with it. The conditions the animals are kept in are pretty appalling and you can tell they're stressed by their behaviour. I can't blame the guy that runs it, as he does the best he can with what little funding he gets, plus most of the animals he's rescued or they've been dumped on him.

But really the government needs to do something - it's been an embarrassment and a blot on Dubai's reputation for years.

salsB
Posts 8468

05/04/2011 17:44:27
Im no expert but DD mentioned the lions were acting mental, pacing up and down, there was no water in the enclosure either. So very sad. Did I read a while ago they have cut the food allowance to the animals as they havent enough money. So the poor creatures are going hungry aswell.

Chocs01
Posts 4776

05/04/2011 17:47:27
salsB wrote:
Im no expert but DD mentioned the lions were acting mental, pacing up and down, there was no water in the enclosure either. So very sad. Did I read a while ago they have cut the food allowance to the animals as they havent enough money. So the poor creatures are going hungry aswell.

Really? That's terrible. I do wonder why no one does anything.

Hello.Again.Kitty
Posts 2043

05/04/2011 18:12:54
salsB wrote:

The brown bear int eh Abu Dhabi Children's park was just pacing round and round in very small circles too - always the same way, so much so that he's worn a path for himself. His enclosure was about the same size as my living room here and he just had a big rock in the middle (which he was pacing around). One of the ostriches also wasn't too happy and would bang his head repeatedly against the railings, following the spectators around.

Livelytrish
Posts 6984

05/04/2011 18:24:36
Chocs01 wrote:
salsB wrote:

Really? That's terrible. I do wonder why no one does anything.

There have been several attempts to do something, including a very public protest by PETA.
The state of Dubai Zoo is an international scandal. For years the authorities fobbed off all complaints by promising a new facility by 2007 in Dubailand..............go figure.
Please do not visit the h@llhole.

Pages: 1 2

Abu Dhabi Dubai Bahrain Kuwait Oman Qatar Saudi Arabia Azerbaijan Singapore Hong Kong Vietnam Site Map

© 2001 - , ExpatWoman.com. All Rights Reserved.