Accommodation advice | ExpatWoman.com

Accommodation advice

Latest post on 19 May 2013 - 12:37
I second waiting till you get here as often the websites are misleading and a whole lot of property is never listed with agents . Also there is a chance that if a group of your husbands colleagues decide to club together you might get a discounted rate for renting in the same place or with the same landlord. Sometimes there is an option to stay in the intiallly provided accomadation too. Unfortunately the rents do seem to be on the way up again.
Latest post on 19 May 2013 - 12:12
Mummywatson, if you need to live close to West Bay you can consider Duhail/Al Kheesa/Al Gharaffa. Some compounds have apartments which may fit your budget. I hope that helps to just give another perspective. Good Luck with your move!!
Latest post on 19 May 2013 - 11:54
Just another thought mummywatson, if you are on Facebook, you should check out this page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/579287658767294/ Its called Where, When & How in Doha.
Latest post on 19 May 2013 - 11:41
Jdcgl Thank you! Very sensible advice. We have up to 8 weeks in temp accommodation so no real rush just wondered what's available etc x
Latest post on 19 May 2013 - 11:39
Hi mummywatson, We too looked at every property site and checked distances from here to there and everywhere. However, when we got here it was a different story. We found things were closer than expected and ended up getting a villa in an area which we hadn't looked at online. We were in temporary accommodation for a few weeks and took the time to look around. Everybody has different needs and values when it comes to things like housing. We were shown a villa in a highly desirable compound but we didn't like it. When I said this to people they were shocked and thought we were mad not to go there. Take all the advice on board but try and hold off on making a decision until you get here and you know where work will be. We used an agent in the end. We told him what we wanted, how much we had to spend and he showed us what was out there. We picked one the first day. He did cost half months rent in commission but we thought it was worth it. It will all work out in the end. <em>edited by jdcgl on 19/05/2013</em>
Latest post on 19 May 2013 - 11:13
*pay monthly for this
Latest post on 19 May 2013 - 11:12
The reason we like akg was because friends lived there and we visited them last April and we liked the facilities. Ideally I would like somewhere with decent facilities as my husband will have the car so this is where my son and I will be spending most of our time. I also liked it as it had a few things to do inside for the hotter months. Whereintheworld fully furnished would be ideal and we would be willing today more monthly for this. I haven't seen other compounds/appartments so have nothing to compare akg with.we currently live in a 2 bed flat so 2 bedrooms are perfect. We are happy to give up inside space for better facilities. We are planning on going back to Scotland during the summer to avoid the hottest times and see family. I appreciate the replies and any other suggestions are very much appreciated. My google search history is an exhaustive list of doha property sites!!!
Latest post on 19 May 2013 - 08:10
My husband has got a teaching job starting in September. We visited friends last year and loved it. They stay at ain khalid gate. If my husbands job is at the old doha college we would stay there but if it is at the new campus in west bay I don't have a clue about where we would stay. I would like somewhere with is similar facilities as akg. We have a 7month old so also somewhere child friendly. I liked the fact that akg also had a coffee shop, restaurant and play area which would be ideal for the hot months. Our budget is around 10,000 rials. Any ideas please. Thanks in advance Are you looking for a fully furnished property ?
Latest post on 19 May 2013 - 01:36
Markar I don't think anyone's trying to frighten anybody.There are just trying to give there honest opinion. It is better I think to know what to expect. In our first year of being here the temperatures were hitting 50 plus in May . No joke. May and June can be the worst time for heat combined with dust storms.This year is unusual, that we had cooler weather up till now. Yes it can be frightening.This is not pleasant even with the cars AC stuck waiting in traffic with young children is no fun. I know when we first arrived my school journey was 45 mins each way that was equal to 3 hrs a day in the car just for school run.Honestly whatever you do consider your journey times and be close to school ,home or work if possible edited by alee on 18/05/2013 We say the same thing in a different way. I just don't want Mummywatson think that it is +46C all the year around here. There is a couple of difficult months but most of the time it is pleasant (even for the British who got used to the cold weather and rain :)) As her husband is a teacher, I guess they will never stay here in summer and leave just after the end of the school year. But I would not advise her to live in AKG. This compound is very far from the school of her husband. Every Saturday morning I spend 35 mins at 8h30 and about 50 mins on the way back at 11h00! I personnaly would prefer to live in an apartment in West Bay than in a villa in AKG. This compound resembles an army camp. Blocks of beton terraced houses without any piece of green, just a flower pot at the entrance... yes, they have lots of facilities (shop, car wash, even a kindergarden) but the whole spirit is depressive for me.
Latest post on 18 May 2013 - 18:21
Markar I don't think anyone's trying to frighten anybody.There are just trying to give there honest opinion. It is better I think to know what to expect. In our first year of being here the temperatures were hitting 50 plus in May . No joke. May and June can be the worst time for heat combined with dust storms.This year is unusual, that we had cooler weather up till now. Yes it can be frightening.This is not pleasant even with the cars AC stuck waiting in traffic with young children is no fun. I know when we first arrived my school journey was 45 mins each way that was equal to 3 hrs a day in the car just for school run.Honestly whatever you do consider your journey times and be close to school ,home or work if possible <em>edited by alee on 18/05/2013</em>
Latest post on 18 May 2013 - 18:19
Marykar, I don't know how long you've been in the ME, but it's 45C+ for most of June and the last 3 years we've had temps of 50C+ on a couple of days. July & Aug are pretty much unbearable. I'm just advising the OP that it's wiser to be as close to work as possible because of the traffic. Nearly everyone here would agree with that, and not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to leave for 2 months over the summer, although the roads are a lot quieter in July & Aug. <em>edited by kimmc3 on 18/05/2013</em>
Latest post on 18 May 2013 - 17:54
I reckon at 5:30 it would be 45 mins. Have you actually seen AKG yet? (Not just the website!)
Latest post on 18 May 2013 - 17:16
Maryland My husband has to be into work at 7 and he ALWAYS goes into work at least an hour before so he would be leaving around 5:30/6. What is the traffic like at this time if the day? It depends from where he will drive to DCWB. If you live in Ain Khalid, he will need 1h15 in the morning. I live near to the future job of your husband and I know Ain Khalid very well but I go there only on Saturday morning once a week. Personnally I dislike this compound, why do you want to stay there? If your husband works in West Bay that is the niciest place in Doha to live and work, why do you want to live so far in a hot dusty area? Your life will be also sweeter in West Bay! At 11 000 Qr you can take a villa in Garafa or an apartment in WB ( not pearl).
Latest post on 18 May 2013 - 16:37
Maryland My husband has to be into work at 7 and he ALWAYS goes into work at least an hour before so he would be leaving around 5:30/6. What is the traffic like at this time if the day?
Latest post on 18 May 2013 - 16:18
The only apartments near WB that I know your budget would match would be Zig Zag Towers, but I wouldn't recommend them (maybe that's just me being fussy?). Maybe the Pearl, but I doubt it, I think they start at around 13 - 14k. Perhaps some Pearl/WB ladies would be able to comment. You would definitely get more for your money on the Ain Khalid/Abu Hamour side of town. You really (seriously) need to stay as close as possible to work - the traffic is diabolical and unbearable when you're stuck in a car for an hour in 46C heat. You should not frighten new-commers in such a terrific way :) For the present moment we haven't experienced +46C. It was +42C few days ago but only at noon and only during one day. It's hot only in summer and they will be always away in summer. As for the traffic, yes, it is a problem here but it depends where you need to go and at what time. I live in WB Lagoon and my husband works not far from the airport (the opposite), he leaves home at 6:00 and doesn't have any traffic problems on his way.
Latest post on 18 May 2013 - 14:44
Thanks for the heads up kimmc3. I've done a bit of research and really don't fancy staying in the towers. We get free accommodation for 8 weeks on arrival so we have time to search, however I just want to know what my options are. Thanks again x
Latest post on 18 May 2013 - 14:32
Mummywatson, should you go and look at Zig Zag towers, please be aware that the cost of the aircon is not included in the rent, so check with the agent what the cost would be (it's quite a lot from what I remember from friends living there). Also, something you would possibly take for granted otherwise, is are the emergency stair exits open all the way down? Our friend lived on the 32nd floor and only found out after a year there that the nearest stair exit to him was completely blocked with builders rubble for a couple of floors. There are occasional evacuations due to mild seismic activity here and because of poor build quality, fires are also a possibility. Sorry, don't wish to scare you, just wanted to point these things out to you.
Latest post on 17 May 2013 - 23:23
Yes, prices for 2 beds on The Pearl start around 13,000 and up...depends on view and size, of course. The Qanat Quartier (Venice type) ones are slightly cheaper, but don't have facilities like pools and gyms, as far as I know...that's the only thing that stops me moving over there, as rents are rising here on the rest of The Pearl. Zig Zag is slightly cheaper too, but we were not keen on them when DH viewed them...the ones he looked at didn't have much storage space and were quite small. Also, he said the pool area was not so nice... <em>edited by chizz on 17/05/2013</em>
Latest post on 16 May 2013 - 20:49
Thanks for your reply Lots to think about
Latest post on 16 May 2013 - 20:29
The only apartments near WB that I know your budget would match would be Zig Zag Towers, but I wouldn't recommend them (maybe that's just me being fussy?). Maybe the Pearl, but I doubt it, I think they start at around 13 - 14k. Perhaps some Pearl/WB ladies would be able to comment. You would definitely get more for your money on the Ain Khalid/Abu Hamour side of town. You really (seriously) need to stay as close as possible to work - the traffic is diabolical and unbearable when you're stuck in a car for an hour in 46C heat.
Latest post on 16 May 2013 - 19:26
We are not planning on staying in west bay. We will be getting a car so willing to travel. We are happy to have a 2 bedroom apartment. Akg cost around 9000 for a 2 bed app so wondering if there is something similar closer to west bay x
Latest post on 16 May 2013 - 19:16
If it's the West Bay campus, then you would have to look at an apartment if you want to stay close to school. Your budget wouldn't stretch to a villa, even QR10 000 would be a stretch for an apartment in West Bay.
Latest post on 16 May 2013 - 18:00
My husband has got a teaching job starting in September. We visited friends last year and loved it. They stay at ain khalid gate. If my husbands job is at the old doha college we would stay there but if it is at the new campus in west bay I don't have a clue about where we would stay. I would like somewhere with is similar facilities as akg. We have a 7month old so also somewhere child friendly. I liked the fact that akg also had a coffee shop, restaurant and play area which would be ideal for the hot months. Our budget is around 10,000 rials. Any ideas please. Thanks in advance