Maid quit with no notice | ExpatWoman.com

Maid quit with no notice

Latest post on 21 May 2013 - 14:08

My friend's maid, who has been with their family for less than 1 year, has just quit with no notice saying she misses her family and wants to go home.

What are the Sponsor's responsibilities toward her? She is of the mind that she does not have to pay her any more salary, and no gratuity as she did not give 30 day notice.

My thoughts are that they will need to pay her for the days of May that she has worked, and a ticket home.

Is this correct? Please advise if there are any other costs to be incurred.

Latest post on 22 May 2013 - 17:20
We're closing this thread now.... the answers have been given.
Latest post on 22 May 2013 - 07:51
Pls do not giver her the passport! Huge mistake. Tell her it is in immigration or the office or anywhere. Or just no. Firstly they do not get gratuity, they are domestic servants, even if you do not like the term. Second. If they want to go one early you should ban for breach and they should pay their ticket home. Third. Do not give the passport or any more salary.
Latest post on 21 May 2013 - 22:49
Alright, something is in the air! My friend's maid quits a couple days ago. My maid just told me this afternoon that she is quitting - she misses her little boy and wants to go home. Immediately. No notice. My first thought was that my friend's maid and mine are supporting one another in this effort, but after further thought I think they've only met a couple times. I understand missing your kid - don't get me wrong. But wouldn't it be much more professional/adult to speak with me, to ask to go home before her intended November leave, or something. She stayed home "ill" today - now I realize it was because she did not want to face me in person. She didn't think that one through because she's going to have to see me to get her passport back. I am hopeful she'll show up tomorrow and be more direct than a message on blackberry messenger!! Guess I need to dig up her contract. I'm really angry right now - need to regroup before she comes in tomorrow!! ye gads
Latest post on 21 May 2013 - 20:46
Technically speaking, the sponsor can subtract the costs of her sponsorship from what she is owed if she quits early. If my maid quit early, she would walk away with nothing. I do not think this is true. I was under the impression that it is illegal to make a person pay for their sponsorship costs, even if they quit early. You need to go and look at the contract you filed with immigration as to legally what is required, and if it is vague (as ours is) then consult immigration as to what she is owed. I'm pretty sure you have to pay for her ticket, but doubt she is entitled to anything more than her days worked for her pay. Be sure to tell her that when she quits before her contract is complete, that there will be an automatic ban on her for future work in UAE, I think 1 year. Maybe it would convince her to just finish out her contract and then leave.
Latest post on 21 May 2013 - 15:48
Technically speaking, the sponsor can subtract the costs of her sponsorship from what she is owed if she quits early. If my maid quit early, she would walk away with nothing.
Latest post on 21 May 2013 - 15:12
Yes she can as she has not completed her contract, also inform your friend to place a ban on her for breach of contract.
Latest post on 21 May 2013 - 14:28
Can the Sponsor use the value of the 20 days of work in May to pay for her ticket home?
Latest post on 21 May 2013 - 14:11
No Gratuity as maids dont get that. I would be a bit upset if my maid turned around and did that as she has signed up for a year and leaving in the middle is not good. Just calculate what she is owned up to the day she is worked and pay for her ticket home.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY