A Question for the Muslim Ladies | ExpatWoman.com

A Question for the Muslim Ladies

Latest post on 11 November 2013 - 14:16

I would appreciate opinions and guidance on this.

I would like to get a tattoo on my foot written in Arabic. Given that Arabic is the language of the Quran would this be offensive? I'm not getting a religious text - well sort of but it's a shortened version of a saying from Buddhism, nothing to do with Islam.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 16:53
What language do the Jews speak if its not Hebrew? I always thought that was the spoken language. Depends on where they are from. I did a semester on Biblical Hebrew, and Greek at Uni (dropped it halfway through it was a bit tricky!) we covered some history (which I made it through) then tried to learn the language (which I didn't make it through!). So Biblical Hebrew (although I don't think they call it that) is understood by many Jews but only used for prayer and religious studies, it is a sacred language reserved especially for this purpose. Therefore Jews throughout the world spoke regional languages sometimes with their own dialects. The most well known would be Yiddish spoken by Jews of Eastern Europe. Yiddish is a mish mash of High German, Aramaic, Hebrew, Polish and Russian. Yiddish phrases are prevalent in modern english (perhaps other European languages too). Words like klutz, bagel, blinz, nosh, spritz, lox and of course oy vey come from Yiddish. (plus a few rude ones I won't mention). I don't know much about other Jewish languages but many Jewish communities had their own dialects wherever they were located. They often wrote using Hebrew characters but in the locally spoken language. I do not know why but if I had to guess it would be because they learned how to read and write in religious studies and then just used the same writing skill for day to day use. As another poster said Arabic is spoken by many communities around the world and when Jews lived in the Middle East (Sephardi, Mizrahi and Maghrebi communities) they spoke Arabic as well. There are still Jewish communities in Iran who speak Persian and Judeo dialects of Persian. As for modern Hebrew about 100 years ago some guy decided it would be a good idea for the Jews to have a language. So he taught his son exclusively Hebrew and no other language and thus modern Hebrew was born. Probably the reason why many people think Hebrew is a spoken language by all Jews is because Israel has tried to eradicate languages spoken by people such as Arabic and Yiddish and replace it with Modern Hebrew. Many observant Yiddish speaking Jews (the ones with the hats, hair on their temples and tassels) refuse to learn Modern Hebrew as a spoken language and reserve Hebrew exclusively for prayer. So in summary Modern Hebrew is not the language of the Jews, it is the language of Israel. Jews outside Israel (over 55% of world population) have no common language, except for prayer in which biblical Hebrew is common. Much like Latin is common for Catholics over the world but Irish-Catholics in America for example do not learn Italian. Hmm my language history knowledge really is totally exhausted now! But what is more interesting is the question is there a difference between Quran Arabic and Standard Arabic. Would for example an English Muslim who has only learned Quran be able to come to Dubai and speak to local people in Arabic? Or is Standard Arabic very different? Should the two be different then perhaps the OP query of causing offence may be solved, ensure the tattoo is in Standard Arabic. Of course if the language is largely unchanged then it may leave a question over whether it will cause offence or not. Perhaps consult an Imam, I have found many Imam's here very approachable when asked sensible questions about Islam. Finally as another option what about a string of flowers such as the UAE national flower the tribulus omanense which if well done could look lovely as a tattoo across a foot (I'm really not a tattoo person but think it could look nice). Good luck making your decision. Excellent!!! Very informative . Thank you :)
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 15:55
if you go to Saudi, a lot of the Bedouin old ladies have facial tattoos - my grandmothers had those i think.. it's blue in color.. never understood them hehe My mother in law has tribal tattoos on her face also - all the old women in the area do - different designs indicate the different tribes, I think. My generation and younger do not do it as it is haram in Islam. I think the tribal tattoos are a carry forward from the pre-Islamic days, remembering that my MIL generation and older were not educated, could not read or write so many of the habits old ways and old religions continue and melded with the new ways and new religion.
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 15:47
Circumcision is completely different.. this has to do with Hygiene.. and ofcourse it's only for boys [b'>not[/b'> girls... I don't understand how circumcision is different? If altering your body isn't allowed as it is changing what you were given then why is it allowed? Is it thought that a mistake was made with this body part? I don't know about Muslim circumcision. But in Judaism the circumcision on the 8th day is the symbol of the covenant with G-d. In fact it is another reason why piercings and tattoos are forbidden. Because to tear ones flesh, or mark ones body in other ways would cheapen this sign.
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 12:05
Circumcision is completely different.. this has to do with Hygiene.. and ofcourse it's only for boys [b'>not[/b'> girls... I don't understand how circumcision is different? If altering your body isn't allowed as it is changing what you were given then why is it allowed? Is it thought that a mistake was made with this body part? I said it is completely different as circumsion is to do with hygiene.. if it is not cleaned properly due to the extra skin, then infections can happen.. that could lead to bigger things.. so that is why circumcsion is a MUST in almost ALL religon..
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 12:03
Circumcision is completely different.. this has to do with Hygiene.. and ofcourse it's only for boys [b'>not[/b'> girls... I don't understand how circumcision is different? If altering your body isn't allowed as it is changing what you were given then why is it allowed? Is it thought that a mistake was made with this body part?
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 11:52
My brother got told off in immigration for having an ear-ring and was asked to remove it. They let me keep my 6 ear-rings in though. The guys at immigration were obsessed with his tattoos and were calling their friends over to have a look . It took us forever to get through the airport
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 11:39
if you go to Saudi, a lot of the Bedouin old ladies have facial tattoos - my grandmothers had those i think.. it's blue in color.. never understood them hehe
My brother got told off in immigration for having an ear-ring and was asked to remove it. They let me keep my 6 ear-rings in though.
Genuine question in case anyone knows; if tattoos aren't allowed because they are permanently altering the body why is circumcision mandatory/encouraged? And tattoed makeup? I often wondered this :-) tattooed make up is also not allowed; as is cosmetic surgery I thought that. Thank you :-)
Genuine question in case anyone knows; if tattoos aren't allowed because they are permanently altering the body why is circumcision mandatory/encouraged? Circumcision is completely different.. this has to do with Hygiene.. and ofcourse it's only for boys [b'>not[/b'> girls... another thing.. Circumcision is mentioned in every religon.. Not only Islam.. it's mentioned in the old bible, and also the jews circumcise.
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 11:37
Genuine question in case anyone knows; if tattoos aren't allowed because they are permanently altering the body why is circumcision mandatory/encouraged? Circumcision is completely different.. this has to do with Hygiene.. and ofcourse it's only for boys [b'>not[/b'> girls...
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 11:33
if you go to Saudi, a lot of the Bedouin old ladies have facial tattoos -
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 11:32
My Ex was covered in tattoos and worked for a government organization in the UAE He covered them up however the guys he worked with were obsessed with them and wanted to see them at every opportunity. One of the older local guys he worked with said ( I do not know this to be true) that in days of old the tribal men had them. It was a way of distinguishing who was who??
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 11:32
Genuine question in case anyone knows; if tattoos aren't allowed because they are permanently altering the body why is circumcision mandatory/encouraged? And tattoed makeup? I often wondered this :-) tattooed make up is also not allowed; as is cosmetic surgery
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 11:30
Genuine question in case anyone knows; if tattoos aren't allowed because they are permanently altering the body why is circumcision mandatory/encouraged? And tattoed makeup? I often wondered this :-)
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 10:58
Genuine question in case anyone knows; if tattoos aren't allowed because they are permanently altering the body why is circumcision mandatory/encouraged?
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 10:40
i thought black henna was illegal here as its mixed with petroleum products. i don;t know about it being illegal or not.. but it can be found everywhere.. The black henna they use in salons here is illegal and if you see them using it, report it. It's really dangerous, I have seen picturesu of what it can cause. Awful brrrr...
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 09:44
i thought black henna was illegal here as its mixed with petroleum products. i don;t know about it being illegal or not.. but it can be found everywhere..
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 09:43
i thought black henna was illegal here as its mixed with petroleum products.
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 09:33
Also have you ever seem the damage that can be caused, if you have had a Henna tattoo in the past and then dyed your hair. Really horrible and at times life threatening. . what do you mean? Here's the warning from Clairol 'By law we must put a warning about tattoos on the packaging of all hair colorants. This is because many permanent colorants contain an ingredient called PPD (paraphenylenediamine), which is sometimes found in tattoos. PPD is the ingredient in colourants that is often linked to allergic reactions, and so the use of PPD is very strictly regulated. Certain temporary henna tattoos, primarily the darker and black ones, can induce an allergy which can become evident the next time you color your hair. Many of these temporary "black henna" tattoos have been shown to contain the same ingredients used, legally and safely, in hair colorants, but at much higher concentrations which remain on the skin for a long time. It is important to remember you can develop an allergy to a hair colorant at any time, even if you’ve never had any problems before. Scientists have recommended that PPD should not be used in temporary tattoos, as this can cause someone to develop a reaction to this ingredient. An allergy to PPD can develop at any time. Although we don't recommend a time from when you have had a henna tattoo until when you can colour your hair, we do recommend that you do the Skin Allergy Alert Test at least 48 hours before using a hair colorant . ' Sorry I can't find any pictures of what can happen, but believe me it can and does. I've seen photos of girls with their eyes and face so swollen that they thought they may never see again. Certain doctors, liken it to anaphylactic shock and you know what can happen with that. <em>edited by Geordie expat on 13/11/2013</em>
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 09:32
Tattooing pre-dates modern religion, the ones being discussed here anyway. Most of these religions either incorporated local traditions to increase conversion or out right banned things that could not be fully extricated from their origins. Tattooing is far more complex that vanity and idol worship....
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 09:31
To some people taking offence and being affronted is a hobby. Regarding tattoos being haram, what makes henna tattos not-haram? I see many covered ladies with henna on their hands and feet and have often wondered. Funny I had this conversation with a Muslim, Greek Orthodox and Jewish friend over the summer (and a couple of Atheists). My Greek Orthodox friend, whose parents are very strict, was not even permitted her to have her ears pierced. It would seem the Orthodox church is neutral on piercings and tattoos but there is something that one should not make permanent changes on ones skin and should not change the creation of G-d which can be interpreted as no tattoos or piercings (or plastic surgery for that matter). She thought it was just an excuse of her parents though! However this seems to be roughly a common theme among Abrahamic religions especially when permanent changes are for reasons of vanity. Other reasons for not tattooing seem to be that it can be seen as a sign of idol worship as it was something which pagans and other idol worshippers did. Finally my Muslim friend mentioned something about water not being able to get to the skin which I didn't quite understand. It would be interesting to know the exact reason in Islam though. this is what i truly believe.. nothing to do with water not going to the skin.. but what i believe is you are not supposed to cause any harm to your body.. getting a tattoo is pretty painful.. but not all muslims stick to that.. you will hear so many muslims argue how could you get a tatoo that's haram.. but you see them on the other hand getting a tatoo on their eyebrows.. to me thats hypocrisy at its finest.. or they go and get fake moles on their faces.. oh well.. thats the nature of human i guess..
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 09:28
Also have you ever seem the damage that can be caused, if you have had a Henna tattoo in the past and then dyed your hair. Really horrible and at times life threatening. . what do you mean? i think she means the black henna.. because the black henna has lots of chemicals that could result in poisoning and death.. happened to someone i know.. but the brown henna is all natural.. it shouldn't have any harm on the body.. but i don't like it because of the smell.. it makes me sick..
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 09:18
Also have you ever seem the damage that can be caused, if you have had a Henna tattoo in the past and then dyed your hair. Really horrible and at times life threatening. . what do you mean?
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 09:14
I personally am very mistrusting of henna. Why does it smell so bad? What is in it?
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 09:14
To some people taking offence and being affronted is a hobby. Regarding tattoos being haram, what makes henna tattos not-haram? I see many covered ladies with henna on their hands and feet and have often wondered. Funny I had this conversation with a Muslim, Greek Orthodox and Jewish friend over the summer (and a couple of Atheists). My Greek Orthodox friend, whose parents are very strict, was not even permitted her to have her ears pierced. It would seem the Orthodox church is neutral on piercings and tattoos but there is something that one should not make permanent changes on ones skin and should not change the creation of G-d which can be interpreted as no tattoos or piercings (or plastic surgery for that matter). She thought it was just an excuse of her parents though! However this seems to be roughly a common theme among Abrahamic religions especially when permanent changes are for reasons of vanity. Other reasons for not tattooing seem to be that it can be seen as a sign of idol worship as it was something which pagans and other idol worshippers did. Finally my Muslim friend mentioned something about water not being able to get to the skin which I didn't quite understand. It would be interesting to know the exact reason in Islam though.
Latest post on 13 November 2013 - 09:12
To some people taking offence and being affronted is a hobby. Regarding tattoos being haram, what makes henna tattos not-haram? I see many covered ladies with henna on their hands and feet and have often wondered. There is a huge difference between henna and an ink tattoo. Ink tattoos are permament and the ink ends up in your blood stream. A henna tattoo is superficial and fades in a few weeks. Ink tattoos are damaging to the skin, henna isn't. Sorry but I beg to differ on that. Henna can still seep into the blood stream even though it isn't permanent. Also have you ever seem the damage that can be caused, if you have had a Henna tattoo in the past and then dyed your hair. Really horrible and at times life threatening. But although I dislike seeing tattoos, each to their own.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 12 November 2013 - 20:17
Profit's name? Ruth M, thanks for an interesting post, I wanted it to go on! How are tattoos damaging to the skin? I hate how every little thing offends people on this forum. Live and let live fgs! Of course tattoos damage the skin. First of all you inject your skin with chemicals which penetrate the layers and leave scarring on the surface as well. I am speaking from experience, I have tattoos. It's common sense tattoos are damaging, even more so when removing them.
Latest post on 12 November 2013 - 20:00
Profit's name? Ruth M, thanks for an interesting post, I wanted it to go on! How are tattoos damaging to the skin? I hate how every little thing offends people on this forum. Live and let live fgs!
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 12 November 2013 - 19:41
To some people taking offence and being affronted is a hobby. Regarding tattoos being haram, what makes henna tattos not-haram? I see many covered ladies with henna on their hands and feet and have often wondered. There is a huge difference between henna and an ink tattoo. Ink tattoos are permament and the ink ends up in your blood stream. A henna tattoo is superficial and fades in a few weeks. Ink tattoos are damaging to the skin, henna isn't.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY