English College Primary - news? | ExpatWoman.com

English College Primary - news?

Latest post on 19 November 2013 - 10:34

Morning
I saw on FB (Dubai School Guide site) that English College Primary is closing. Is this true or a vicious Dubai rumour?

Latest post on 21 November 2013 - 07:54
Lets just say the school is built on PRIME Real estate.... That is why the higher ups are looking the other way and not helping save the school.
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 14:00
In 2001 I believe The English College was privately owned by H.H.Sheikh Butti bin Juma Al Maktoum; it was not run by a school board. It was Sheikh Butti who authorised the building of the Primary School. I do not know if this has changed over the years, but don't believe so. I really hope the school stays open and wish you all the best of luck.
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 13:31
It is strange because staff at the KHDA have openly admitted to me recently that there are not enough FS1, FS2 and Grade 1 spots for the number of children. This is going to create a massive headache for the KHDA.... I reckon they will have to back down on this one. I am sure they didn't anticipate the school having to close down (even though I am sure the Principal made this clear to the KHDA, they probably thought the school was bluffing)
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 13:04
Morning I saw on FB (Dubai School Guide site) that English College Primary is closing. Is this true or a vicious Dubai rumour? I heard it this morning on the radio too. The principal confirmed it. I was gobsmacked. Its such a good school too. What a waste and the KHDA doesn't seem to want to help which makes me think they might have other motives...... Why else wouldnt you want to save a school? Principal said the school is running at a loss and not making profit currently and KHDA refused their request for price increase. <em>edited by Asti on 20/11/2013</em>
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 12:22
Have "liked" but so far only 44 - come on EWers - every little helps!! DD is an ex- ECPS and now Secondary student and we have not been approached to sign a petition - maybe this can be addressed?? really want to help.
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 12:13
So, instead of closing the chapter.......PLEASE SUPPORT US TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. Blimey - how can we offer support? is there a petition? A truly wonderful school and devastating for staff and students alike. Thanks. Yes, it is a wonderful school and community. Most if not all parents have submitted our petition to the KHDA. The children will also write and submit their letters. Unlike GEMS, we do not know the schools' owner other than viewing them as Board of Governor. In 9 years, the fees have only been increased twice and at a very small percentage. So, we could understand if they desire more and are willingly (if not happily) prepared to accommodate that. What we are worry about is what we don't know. So, the approach is very tricky unfortunately. Maybe if you could do the following: 1. Like the Facebook page SOS English College Primary School and post your support 2. Follow the Twitter account @ECParent – retweet messages and add your own 3. Please add your comments to Dubai 92's CatBoy and GeordieBird who are inviting you to comment on their FaceBook page https://www.facebook.com/cbgbshow Thank you in advance ladies. Every little help and support are highly appreciated. <em>edited by blimey on 20/11/2013</em>
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 11:52
So, instead of closing the chapter.......PLEASE SUPPORT US TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. Blimey - how can we offer support? is there a petition? A truly wonderful school and devastating for staff and students alike.
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 11:52
Really hope you can work something out. When Gems proposed moving JC to the new campus the parents grouped together and had the decision reversed. Kudos to Gems for listening! I hope the ECPS management is as receptive. The school is situated on a very valuable piece of land and there used to be no commercial developments on that side of Sh Zayed Rd. but that's no longer the case.
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 11:23
Hi Ladies, We have the official letter from Head Teacher William Johnston announcing the school's closure. [url=http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_schools_colleges_boarding_English_College_Primary_School_Closing_12034.aspx'>English College Primary School's closure[/url'> We wish all the best to the teachers and students from English College Primary School all the best. Warm regards, EW Admin edited by admin on 20/11/2013 Yes, the letter was out but there is a group of moms who have been working hard for the past 24 hours to get the decision reversed. All the ECPS parents are behind them and contribute what we possibly can. Something is already happening as we speak but the end result rely on the owner's discretion. So, instead of closing the chapter.......PLEASE SUPPORT US TO MAKE IT HAPPEN.
Latest post on 20 November 2013 - 11:06
Hi Ladies, We have the official letter from Head Teacher William Johnston announcing the school's closure. [url=http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_schools_colleges_boarding_English_College_Primary_School_Closing_12034.aspx'>English College Primary School's closure[/url'> We wish all the best to the teachers and students from English College Primary School all the best. Warm regards, EW Admin <em>edited by admin on 20/11/2013</em>
Latest post on 19 November 2013 - 13:01
I just toured the new Wellington on Al Khail. They have places for next year, and there is the new IB school next door to it, GEMS International School or something that has place as well.
Latest post on 19 November 2013 - 11:45
This is devastating news to parents. A friend of mine has just done a school tour of Safa School and they will have space available in some year groups next September.
Latest post on 19 November 2013 - 11:29
Goodness surely they can't allow this to happen, wherever would all their pupils get places?
Latest post on 19 November 2013 - 11:24
It would be a terrible shame if it closed. Hope the problems can be resolved.
Latest post on 19 November 2013 - 10:39
At the moment it is true. Apparently KHDA has refused an increase to the fees so the Board has decided to close the school from the end of this academic year - June 2014. I guess one of the options is for parents to pressure the KHDA to allow an increase to fees to keep the school open - although that might just be the excuse rather than the reason for closure.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY