External Hard Drive - Recommendations please? | ExpatWoman.com

External Hard Drive - Recommendations please?

Latest post on 06 December 2013 - 23:49
Toshiba 1TB would be the best option.. just ensure u are buying a USB 3.0 version.
Latest post on 06 December 2013 - 20:39
We have Lacie and Buffalo. Both excellent but I personally prefer Buffalo. Very user friendly and you will see its always on top with ratings and reviews too.
Latest post on 06 December 2013 - 19:56
LaCie do nice drives and have a reasonable warranty period. Otherwise Western Digital are good. If you are concerned about data loss but a drive that has two separate removable drives inside and set it up to mirror RAID. <em>edited by RuthM on 06/12/2013</em>
Latest post on 06 December 2013 - 19:01
Quite honestly, the brand doesn't matter. No hard drive can or should be relied upon. If you have data that you can't afford to lose, make sure you have multiple backups on multiple drives, and keep them up to date.
Latest post on 06 December 2013 - 13:37
Been using a Toshiba 1 TB for past 2 yrs. So far so good.
Latest post on 06 December 2013 - 01:06
I have a Western Digital EHD. I replace it during DSF, there are often good price breaks.
Latest post on 04 December 2013 - 19:59
There's a wise old saying in the IT word... "There are only two types of hard drive. Those that have failed, and those that are going to fail" The only way to (almost) guarantee against losing data is to keep backups on a separate drive that's only used for that purpose. There's another saying that digital data doesn't really exist unless it's kept in three separate places - e.g. the main hard drive on your computer, and two backup drives.
Latest post on 04 December 2013 - 18:09
Shops like Emax, PlugIns or Sharaf sell many brands of EHD. Stick to a well known brand like Buffalo, Seagate, Western Digital for eg as if you have a problem, they can be repaired or exchanged easily. EHD can go wrong as I experienced with a 1TB Buffalo. The good thing was Plug Ins exchanged it for a new one as it failed within a month and wasn't repairable.Some EHD offer 2 or 3 years warranty.If you are concerned about loosing the content of the EHD, have 2 copies of your data just in case!
Latest post on 04 December 2013 - 14:21
My very old EHD is full so I need to buy a replacement but haven't got a clue what to buy and where. Would welcome recommendations on brand and size. Is it advisable to have anything bigger than 1TB - just worried if anything goes wrong everything would be lost?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY