Sickly puss cat | ExpatWoman.com

Sickly puss cat

Latest post on 16 February 2014 - 12:55

Any experienced cat owners out there? We have a little female puss called Bramble who is 2 years old. She suddenly became unwell yesterday, rapid breathing and lethargic and we took her to the vet. She had a high temp of 40 degrees and the vet thinks that she has an infection of some kind but can't find the source (no wounds or swellings) She does hunt and eat what she catches. My concern is that she hasn't had as much as a sip of water in 2 days. The vet gave her 2 jabs yesterday, 1 to bring her temp down and a long lasting antibiotic. Should I be concerned about her not drinking? As a human nurse I understand the importance of rehydration in people who are ill but wondered about cats as I know that they can go days in the wild without eating or drinking. Thoughts? She is going back to the vet tomorrow but can I leave it until then?

Latest post on 18 February 2014 - 13:35
She needs to go on IV fluids asap, same as a human, your nursing instincts are correct! Hope she gets better soon. A blood should also determine what is going on, don't rule out poison.
Latest post on 16 February 2014 - 18:26
How is your little one doing ?
Latest post on 16 February 2014 - 14:11
Cats can be really awkward when they're not well. Is she eating anything at all, 'cause if she is try and persuade her to have wet cat food as she will get some liquid from that. Did the vet say anything about her being dehydrated? Apart from that all I can suggest is to watch her carefully and if you're at all concerned straight back to the vets. Thanks. x I popped her in front of her water bowl and she just sat and looked at it, retching. She isn't dehydrated and today I repeated the "skin pull" test. She is not eating anything. I have called my vet again as she is definitely worse today. Taking her along to the surgery at midday. <em>edited by JoyceB on 16/02/2014</em>
Latest post on 16 February 2014 - 12:58
Cats can be really awkward when they're not well. Is she eating anything at all, 'cause if she is try and persuade her to have wet cat food as she will get some liquid from that. Did the vet say anything about her being dehydrated? Apart from that all I can suggest is to watch her carefully and if you're at all concerned straight back to the vets.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY