Bank lockers or a sturdy safe deposit box | ExpatWoman.com

Bank lockers or a sturdy safe deposit box

Latest post on 18 February 2014 - 15:05

Hi,

I will be away for a couple of months for delivery and DH will be travelling a lot during those months. I wanted to put all my jewels in a locker as there have been a lot of thefts in our area lately especially targeting Indian homes (the thieves know of our penchant for gold ;)!). Any suggestions about which banks provide locker facility. I have already contacted Bank of Baroda and they have a LONG waiting list.

Alternatively, are there any good safe deposit boxes which might be worth buying? We don't want something that needs installation....

Latest post on 17 September 2014 - 23:40
Check DIB Barsha mall branch. They mostly have lockers available and rental is 750 dhs per year. Its such a relief to have all valuable items in bank locker. I won't go for safety deposit at home.
Latest post on 17 September 2014 - 20:10
I tried to find a bank safety deposit rental here and could not. I opted for a nice sturdy lock box, electronic, which I bought from Dragon Mart. It sits nicely in my cupboard and is easily accessible. It has the option of being bolted to the floor if you wish. Of course, they are heavy but could be carried out by a strong person. I think though, the idea is to keep your jewellery, passports, cash etc safe from wandering fingers etc rather than from professional thieves so this type of lock box is sufficient. If you have a huge amount of very expensive jewels, you may need more. I work for Gulf News and would like to interview you all about this topic. How can we get in touch? Also, for others who are interested to speak to me about how Safe deposit lockers in banks are available but not accessible. Please reply ASAP
Latest post on 17 September 2014 - 20:09
Thanks ladies. I think safety deposit box is the way to go as its the same story with lockers in most places - not available or the banks are asking for a huge deposit to get one (from hearsay). Mrsb, if you don't mind my asking, how much did the safety deposit box cost from Dragon Mart. I will be looking around Ace or C4 and want to get an idea if its worth making a trip to DM if the price range is the same... I work for Gulf News and would like to interview you all about this topic. How can we get in touch? Also, for others who are interested to speak to me about how Safe deposit lockers in banks are available but not accessible. Please reply ASAP
Latest post on 15 September 2014 - 15:46
I know you've said jewelry but if you are putting any documents or cash in there make sure its fire proof.
Latest post on 15 September 2014 - 15:35
If you are searching for the safe deposit lockers with the bank then it is available at ADCB's. In Dubai it is available at 'Al Riggah Road Branch' and 'Al Karama Branch'. Lockers of various sizes are offered on a short or long term basis, at competitive rental rates. The lockers can only be opened by using your key in combination with the bank master key, ensuring total security for your valuables. I’d recommend checking with bank for more details. Do you work for ADCB ;-)
Latest post on 15 September 2014 - 15:09
If you are searching for the safe deposit lockers with the bank then it is available at ADCB's. In Dubai it is available at 'Al Riggah Road Branch' and 'Al Karama Branch'. Lockers of various sizes are offered on a short or long term basis, at competitive rental rates. The lockers can only be opened by using your key in combination with the bank master key, ensuring total security for your valuables. I’d recommend checking with bank for more details.
Latest post on 20 February 2014 - 23:11
You don't need to be Muslim, you may need to open an account with DIB which anyone, regardless of religious background and ethnicity, can open. My annual bank locker rental is about dh500, FYI. beach road branch has lockers.
Latest post on 20 February 2014 - 21:00
Thanks Apricot. Which branch of DIB? Not sure if v can avail the locker facility as v r non muslims....
Latest post on 20 February 2014 - 19:54
Carrefour sells these boxes, and cheaper than Ace by Dh100. I rent a safety deposit box at Dubai Islamic Bank. Last time i went, there were empty boxes available.
Latest post on 20 February 2014 - 10:25
Thanks Amyly, this helps.... I don't know why, in my head I was thinking a safe wud cost much, much more.... Feeling foolish for not investing in a sturdy safe much earlier... Thats a small price to pay for peace of mind!
Latest post on 20 February 2014 - 10:16
We bought a small size one that fits into our cupboard slot perfectly about an year back from DM. It cost us around 350 aed. There are 2 stores in DM who sell this, i suggest look for the one that has Fireproof chart on it (and don't just take the word of mouth from the sales guy).
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 19 February 2014 - 13:02
Thanks ladies. I think safety deposit box is the way to go as its the same story with lockers in most places - not available or the banks are asking for a huge deposit to get one (from hearsay). Mrsb, if you don't mind my asking, how much did the safety deposit box cost from Dragon Mart. I will be looking around Ace or C4 and want to get an idea if its worth making a trip to DM if the price range is the same... To be honest, I can't remember what I paid as I have the box for several years now. I do know that I was surprised at the time that it was so much cheaper than I had expected. Ace Hardware do stock similar boxes. I always factor in drive time, my time etc when thinking about trying to safe a few dirhams driving across time for something - sometimes it is just not worth the trouble, stress, traffic etc.
Latest post on 19 February 2014 - 12:56
Thanks ladies. I think safety deposit box is the way to go as its the same story with lockers in most places - not available or the banks are asking for a huge deposit to get one (from hearsay). Mrsb, if you don't mind my asking, how much did the safety deposit box cost from Dragon Mart. I will be looking around Ace or C4 and want to get an idea if its worth making a trip to DM if the price range is the same...
Latest post on 18 February 2014 - 17:26
I've also seen these at ACE
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 18 February 2014 - 15:55
I tried to find a bank safety deposit rental here and could not. I opted for a nice sturdy lock box, electronic, which I bought from Dragon Mart. It sits nicely in my cupboard and is easily accessible. It has the option of being bolted to the floor if you wish. Of course, they are heavy but could be carried out by a strong person. I think though, the idea is to keep your jewellery, passports, cash etc safe from wandering fingers etc rather than from professional thieves so this type of lock box is sufficient. If you have a huge amount of very expensive jewels, you may need more.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY