Scary insects | ExpatWoman.com

Scary insects

Latest post on 26 February 2014 - 15:21

Anyone know if the large black flying things and the super sized orange wasps are dangerous (as in stingy etc!) I'm getting a bit scared of them as their numbers seem to have increased in the last few days!

Latest post on 28 February 2014 - 20:44
The wasps are called Potters Wasps from your description... Google them for more details, The ones in the bamboo canes could be leaf cutter bees... Do you have circle shaped bites out of your plant leaves? If so it's them... They wrap an egg in the bit of leaf and put them in the bamboo holes. HTH with identification a bit :)
Latest post on 28 February 2014 - 14:07
Thank you, ecochic, that is very interesting. How big are the wholes that those hornets do underground? The holes vary in size, most of the time they are about 1 cm but can be much bigger too.
Latest post on 28 February 2014 - 09:47
No they are small and black, about 6mm long.
Latest post on 28 February 2014 - 09:45
Supernoodle what size are the samsun ants? are they those huge ones? my DS has an ant allergy and we carry an epipen but i always thought it was the tinier ants that were more potent?
Latest post on 28 February 2014 - 07:59
Thankyou super noodle! Maybe I should get pest control in? Don't want my daughter to be bitten again
Latest post on 27 February 2014 - 22:30
Thank you, ecochic, that is very interesting. How big are the wholes that those hornets do underground?
Latest post on 27 February 2014 - 17:33
Underground??! :\: We had an infestation last year (january) and called in 3 pest control companies to help, there was no nest on the trees but there were too many holes on the ground / lawn. Turns out that the hornets (orange colour and yellow jackets) were eating the june bug larvae. Some of them nest underground too because of food.
Latest post on 27 February 2014 - 17:12
Thankyou ecochic, will try that - the ant was in the house!!
Latest post on 27 February 2014 - 17:11
Underground??! :\:
Latest post on 27 February 2014 - 17:09
If you cannot find the hornets nest above ground (on trees or hanging anywhere else) check the garden for any holes, that is an indicator that they could be underground as their food source is there. If underground then call Dubai municipality as they are the only authorized people who will spray an insecticide (toxic) for free. You would have to call them twice and they will happily come in. For ants in the garden, once every 2 weeks soapy water on the law keeps them controlled.
Latest post on 27 February 2014 - 16:58
Not mention ants!! We have just moved into our villa in jvt and have these little black ants, both my daughter and I gave been bitten and the pain is awful - 3 days on and there is still a swelling and it's very itchy. The chemist said he thinks they are samsan ants - a type of fire ant ugh!!
Latest post on 26 February 2014 - 21:42
We also have the hornets in our garden! I want to check if there is a nest somewhere as i don't want them anywhere near my kids..
Latest post on 26 February 2014 - 19:51
Well I hope there's no nest. One orange wasp thing seems to have suspended itself by a black liquid from the ceiling. We also had the huge black things coming in and out from the ends of the canes that form a trellis in the garden. The husband came home and sprayed the orange wasp and said he'll block up the holes at the end of the trellis.
Latest post on 26 February 2014 - 18:00
I had one yesterday buzzing around my front door... I had never seen it before, horrible looking Thing !
Latest post on 26 February 2014 - 17:29
hmm maybe monitor to see if you have a nest somewhere. We had a LOT in our garden last year. I did post asking questions about nests but can't remember what any of the answers were. :-P
Latest post on 26 February 2014 - 17:26
Gosh - thanks. I was a little bit (well a lot!) scared when one appeared in my house this morning and then I noticed one seems to have taken up residence on my veranda. I haven't been able to go out all day as it just keeps flying around there :-(
Latest post on 26 February 2014 - 15:26
the orange wasps are hornets, they have a very nasty sting, but don't seem to be too aggressive unless provoked.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY