Maid end of service bonus.. | ExpatWoman.com

Maid end of service bonus..

Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 15:04

This is a question for those who have actually employed a maid ;-)

What do you think is an appropriate bonus for a great maid ? I know this is a bit like" how long is a piece of string" - just wanting to hear what others have done.. e.g. a month salary for every year worked ? More/less ? Any thoughts gratefully received. Thanks.

PS She already has had a month salary as bonus every year...
<em>edited by QueenL on 17/04/2014</em>

Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 23:06
We are intending on a month for every year worked it's pretty standard redundancy pay in the UK Are you in the UK ? Why are you comparing maid end of service here to the UK? Is your maid British? Of course, she graduated in hospitality from Les Roches, Switzerland and was employed as Head Housekeeper at Sandringham House prior to her move to Dubai. Where else would we get a maid from?! Jolly good!
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 23:01
We are intending on a month for every year worked it's pretty standard redundancy pay in the UK Are you in the UK ? Why are you comparing maid end of service here to the UK? Is your maid British? Well said, when in Rome and all that.
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 22:58
Look after her the way you would like yourself, or a family member doing the same job to be looked after.
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 22:30
We are intending on a month for every year worked it's pretty standard redundancy pay in the UK Are you in the UK ? Why are you comparing maid end of service here to the UK? Is your maid British? Of course, she graduated in hospitality from Les Roches, Switzerland and was employed as Head Housekeeper at Sandringham House prior to her move to Dubai. Where else would we get a maid from?!
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 20:42
We are intending on a month for every year worked it's pretty standard redundancy pay in the UK Are you in the UK ? Why are you comparing maid end of service here to the UK? Is your maid British?
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 20:12
While maids are not actually entitled officially to a bonus I don't think, I do think that one month salary per year of service is a kind gesture, especially if you have been happy with her. Of course, they get lots of gifts, baksheesh, etc along the way from you over the years but a bonus it is small renumeration for good loyal service over the years and will be gratefully received, I am sure.
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 19:00
We are intending on a month for every year worked it's pretty standard redundancy pay in the UK and more than generous if she is leaving you. However if ours leaves to go and work elsewhere (under a cloud so to speak) I don't think I'd give her anything. Is it common to give cash for birthday and Christmas? We were thinking of a small gift for birthday and a months salary for end of year bonus every December.
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 16:55
I think a month for every year is nice, she's been with you a while, has she not? (Though she's broken a few irons in her time, no?) :D QL, is the end nigh :(
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 16:54
When our last maid went back, who was very good and had been with us several years, we gave her one month's salary for every year worked. She also had the extra month's salary as her Xmas present every year. We also gave her some money for each of her young daughters' bank accounts, which will probably go towards their dowries. Whilst there was no obligation to give a bonus we felt she had given us good service and knew that she was sending most of her money home to support her extended family, not saving money for her pension years, so we suggested that she open up a bank account for herself and not tell the family that we had given her the money... In the end she used it to move to a better apartment and as capital to start up a small family business, so although it wasn't a massive amount to us it made a big difference to their lives. We will do the same when our current maid leaves too. Thanks, frazzled.
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 16:53
didnt think maids were entitled to any officially. I am aware of that.
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 16:35
didnt think maids were entitled to any officially.
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 15:51
When our last maid went back, who was very good and had been with us several years, we gave her one month's salary for every year worked. She also had the extra month's salary as her Xmas present every year. We also gave her some money for each of her young daughters' bank accounts, which will probably go towards their dowries. Whilst there was no obligation to give a bonus we felt she had given us good service and knew that she was sending most of her money home to support her extended family, not saving money for her pension years, so we suggested that she open up a bank account for herself and not tell the family that we had given her the money... In the end she used it to move to a better apartment and as capital to start up a small family business, so although it wasn't a massive amount to us it made a big difference to their lives. We will do the same when our current maid leaves too.
Latest post on 17 April 2014 - 15:20
We give AED 500 at Christmas and birthday, 1000 on anniversary and payrise and then instead of 1 month we give 2 months when she goes home

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY