Which Airline shall we pick on next | ExpatWoman.com

Which Airline shall we pick on next

Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 11:22

We've had Malaysian and Emirates so far today.

Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 09:53
I think its great that we can share the good, bad and the ugly on airlines, as it does make a different to your holiday if you have a pleasant flight or not. And we do shell out quite a lot for the pleasure ;-). I thought that about husbands but nothing is guaranteed! lol
Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 09:47
I think it would be a great idea to cruise to the UK.... well chilled out time I got there.
Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 06:15
EK flight attendant dropped a bottle of wine on my shoulder (unopened, but it ****** hurt) because she was laughing and goofing around with a male CC. edited by CrashingWaves on 20/04/2014 Goodness, just think it could of landed on your head................
Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 06:14
When I was younger someone used to say something to me that has stayed with me "I complained about having no shoes, until I met a man with no feet." sounds apt in this regard. Perspective is everything. Sadly "they" still won't get it, "they" as in "me, myself and I".
Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 02:25
Flew business class on Qatar Air to North America last summer - mediocre at best. No comparison with Emirates. However, my connecting flight with Air Canada which has very old airplanes and poor layout (again, business class) surprised me with one of the best meals and service I have experienced at any time. My airline of choice is Emirates barring an extortionate fare. Their ground and air crew are both light years ahead of Qatar Air which is the airline of my place of residence. Oh, and when you buy your ticket with Emirates you are always given a copy of the terms and conditions before you complete the purchase - which I believe from previous postings they are honouring for those who purchased tickets before the changes. It is the buyer's responsibility to ensure they read and understand those terms and conditions. BTW Qatar Air had changes to their baggage allowances about 16 months ago, and despite passengers arriving with tickets with the previous terms and conditions (as they had purchased them before the change) they were hit with large excess baggage fees). edited by marycatherine on 21/04/2014 <em>edited by marycatherine on 21/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 00:59
If we are slagging off airlines, DH has another name for Qantas, starts with a c. I think emirates did make some sort of official announcement regarding the sporting equipment, maybe via their privilege club? because I do remember reading it a while back. It seems only fair they might have a period of being lenient for those who didn't notice the rule change. I flew air India once and the ac was broken, we were all dripping with sweat, then they landed midway and refused to let us off the plane despite over an hour on the Tarmac (still with no ac) middle of summer in Rajasthan
Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 00:22
on my EK flight on Thursday, I pick my seat at row 20, I normally sit at 48, but find waiting on cold drinks takes to long. I was asked if I wanted chicken or lamb, I said lamb, was informed she will have to bring me one from another cart, so I plodding on eating the starter and crackers, the crew member cam back half hour later and said she had no more lamb!!!!! I had abit of a moan, but there you go. I was seated next to a little old fella, he was up and down every 15 mins, not good when you have a bad back. Further on on the flight and man came up the aisle, looked drunk to me, and was swaying.... on approaching my area, he kind of fell, but found his footiing, he gave me the biggest back hand knuckle duster right in my face..... he then collapsed at the toilets. I dont fair to well with luck on flights.... always in the wrong place.... lol Oh and the head sets never work properly.... the last few flights, I had broken screens and head sets never work,
Latest post on 21 April 2014 - 00:11
Last year I got fed up with paying the EK prices to Europe and the UK and so for the first time in years booked with other airlines. I flew KLM to the UK and both Swiss Air and Luthansa to Europe. As well as being nearly half the price the experience was very similar, so much so that I shall soon be booking flights to Europe again with one of the above carriers. The differences? Not as much inflight entertainment and that's about it. Not worth paying an extra 2000Dhs for that IMHO. <em>edited by Genie on 21/04/2014</em>
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 22:23
I guess I don't fly enough, but have flown several different airlines. Qatar, amazing service, connection to LHR in Doha is very short and sweet, Luftansa, had great seats right behind business without paying extra (lots of leg space) was given a Business Class gift pouch. Austrian Air, decent, not the most cheerful crew, but it was ok. KLM, I like them because even though a straight return to Amsterdam and back is same price as EK and sometimes even more expensive, when I add in a trip to LHR, the flight becomes 1200aed cheaper. So I take the opportunity to visit family in the UK. Only airline I didn't really like is Air France. And that was just because their planes were scruffy, KLM is much better. Flew EK once years ago, but will fly with them next year as I get an EK flight to my home country yearly. The good thing is that more local airlines are now flying directly to AMS. And KLM often is price wise the same as EK and Etihad. I do end up paying more as I book the emergency exit seat. Other seats don't have that much space, and that for a airline of a country with some of the tallest people on this planet :P All in all, flying has so far been a pleasant experience Alhamdulilah. Ask me again after the summer :)
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 21:54
I get the complaints about the missed main meals, the bottles falling on heads (!) and the like, but for some reason I cannot fathom the golf club thing - smh. When I was younger someone used to say something to me that has stayed with me "I complained about having no shoes, until I met a man with no feet." sounds apt in this regard. Perspective is everything.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 21:51
EK flight attendant dropped a bottle of wine on my shoulder (unopened, but it ****** hurt) because she was laughing and goofing around with a male CC. edited by CrashingWaves on 20/04/2014 Ouch ouch ouch
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 21:41
EK flight attendant dropped a bottle of wine on my shoulder (unopened, but it ****** hurt) because she was laughing and goofing around with a male CC. <em>edited by CrashingWaves on 20/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 20:33
Qatar Airways twice forgot my DDs vegetarian meal
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 18:00
I flew with Lufthansa in business and they forgot to feed me my main..... edited by salsB on 20/04/2014 Emirates for got my whole meal on a 12 hour flight biz class too, and they could not offer me anything except cheese and crackers in replacement! Also my requests for a cup of tea went ignored twice on another long haul EK biz class flight. I find Virgin Premium Econ far better service than EK these days.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 17:14
I flew with Lufthansa in business and they forgot to feed me my main..... edited by salsB on 20/04/2014 Same happened to me with KLM. The flight attendant was so embarrassed she ended up bringing me to mains and both deserts ? Must say I really like KLM, but their business class seats are not up to par anymore. It's high time they upgrade them, but unfortunately since the merger with Air France most money goes to AF HQ and the French Unions
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 17:06
I flew with Lufthansa in business and they forgot to feed me my main..... <em>edited by salsB on 20/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 16:53
Air France is pretty bad and that is mainly because of the CDG airport. American Airlines is not too good either....
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 16:44
I've had great recent experiences on Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines. Next year DH's company wont pay for our annual tickets home so we're planning our trip on Turkish Airlines rather than Emirates..
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 16:43
We've had Malaysian and Emirates so far today. First world problems....Spoiled expats. Nothing to do with being spoiled or being expats. However, as expats, we do fly more than many, and we pay a high price to travel, and therefore if something is not matching our expectations or the price we pay, then we have a right to complain or comment. The type of problem, the cost of the problem, or where it is in the world is irrelevant - what matters is that customers are happy, and if they are not happy they will take their business elsewhere.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 16:30
We've had Malaysian and Emirates so far today. First world problems....Spoiled expats. Yes, that is right, first world problems. Why spoiled? Should we apologize to the world for being wealthier than the 3rd world?
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 13:31
We've had Malaysian and Emirates so far today. First world problems....Spoiled expats. I so dislike this response when anyone other than a teenager makes it ( they are forgiven for their mistaken belief that only they know everything about the world). People on this board are living in the first world so obviously their day to day concerns will be of that order rather than say worrying that their only cow has just runaway, the well is drying up and warlords have taken over the only remaining water supply. What do you actually mean by this? That people who live in the first world should NEVER be allowed to voice a gripe? Everyone in the world no matter what their position in life can find someone who is worse off than themselves - should only those with the worst problems in the world be allowed to have a moan and the rest just shut up permanently? Or do you operate under the mistaken belief that if someone mentions something that niggles them in their first world life that they have no sympathy or care for those with harder lives?
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 13:20
We've had Malaysian and Emirates so far today. First world problems....Spoiled expats.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 12:31
And nowadays you can complain on Twitter and have the airline reply on Twitter - which is so much fun when they make a mistake !!! (as in US Airways lol)
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 12:28
Not sure it is a question of 'picking on an airline' but anyone who offers a service and is paid handsomly in return, is obliged to offer the best service they can. If they failed to offer great service twenty years ago, they worst they would have had is a handwritten letter of complaint to their Customer Services Department, or perhaps a letter to a newspaper if the writer felt really disgruntled. Unfortunately, in the age of social networking and the grip of the internet, companies cannot afford to fail in the service they provide and if they do, an apology would be welcome, not just offering poor service and expecting it to be accepted. We are all entitled to our opinion - service providers have to accept the good, bad and ugly. I'm not sure an airline the size of Emirates will really be that bothered by this thread - there are plenty of passengers out there who will remain loyal to Emirates regardless. I have received fabulous service in the past from Emirates, BA and Virgin on routes to DXB but I have also been on the end of some pretty patchy service too from all three airlines - luck of the draw unfortunately.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 11:57
I flew Romanian Air in the late 1980's - now that was a thrill a minutes.....
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 11:53
When I was 5 I flew with Syrian Arab Airlines. We could write a book about that flight. Once I was on a domestic flight from Istanbul to Ankara (1988) and some peasants were cooking on gas stoves in the galley, and yet I was strip searched before boarding. Soon after Desert Storm I was evacuated (false alarm) to the air raid shelter in the airport whilst transiting Kuwait.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 11:51
We did Gulf Air a little while ago too. One wonders how we girls ever get out. umm - and what was that you said about having a life? :D Good one. I'm on bed rest today. Doctor's orders!
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 11:50
We did Gulf Air a little while ago too. One wonders how we girls ever get out. umm - and what was that you said about having a life? :D
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 11:47
We did Gulf Air a little while ago too. One wonders how we girls ever get out.
Latest post on 20 April 2014 - 11:43
BA? Always find they are pretty stuck up. Oh don't let me start. Please hold me back. Oomg head through porthole comes to mind. Now that is an image which will stick with me :D

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY