Is it cheaper to buy a watch in Dubai or Uk? | ExpatWoman.com

Is it cheaper to buy a watch in Dubai or Uk?

Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 06:48
Thanks all. Unfortunately I won't be traveling before his birthday and I stupidly didn't look in DDF last time I went through. So if I start off at about 30% off the asking price, I might end up with 10% off the price? Or is the best strategy to offer cash? Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to this haggling!
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 04:21
i bought both my tags at DDF - both cheaper than the UK
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 17:32
We bought both our Tags from Siddique & Sons in MOE for far less than the UK. Mine was bought 4 years ago and DH's 7. Mine was 8,000Dhs here but in the UK they wanted 2850GBP!!! It was around the same price difference with DH's watch. You must haggle though in the shops here. I spent around an hour haggling in the store for DH's watch.
Latest post on 31 August 2014 - 11:24
I bought my husband a Breitling here in Dubai and it was quite a bit cheaper than buying the same in the UK (I didnt factor in claiming back the VAT, as we fly through Glasgow, and there are no VAT officials based there, so my one attempt at doing this didnt work and the paperwork mysteriously vanished!) You can negotiate in the store no problem - just as what deal they will do for cash. They even had to order in the particular style I wanted, and still gave me quite a bit off the ticket price.
Latest post on 30 August 2014 - 18:29
I agree, try. For those brands youre looking, it's worth a shot. It's common here unless you see "fixed price" on the door or something...
Latest post on 30 August 2014 - 11:19
You can definitely haggle the price down in Rivoli, so I expect you can try in most shops. <em>edited by Britgirldubai on 30/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 30 August 2014 - 10:50
Hi again, I ended up not buying the watch in the UK. I have had a look here and it is marginally more expensive but I couldn't get the one I wanted in the UK on time. Does anyone know if it is appropriate to negotiate on the price in the shop? I went to Omega and they immediately gave a 10% discount without me asking which makes me wonder if they would go lower but wasn't sure if it is appropriate to negotiate here....
Latest post on 23 July 2014 - 11:35
Thanks all, very helpful
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 13:42
Depends on the brand. Jaeger LeCoultre is more expensive/the same in Dubai. Rolex is generally cheaper. Unfortunately you need to compare the prices of the specific watches you are looking for in order to work it out. I don't know about Omega or Tag. If you go to independent Jewellers in the UK they are more inclined to negotiate on prices. We just got 20% off a Jaeger LeCoultre from an independent jeweller and then were able to claim the VAT back as well resulting in a third off RRP. The same watch in Dubai was marginally more expensive than full RRP however with the current poor dollar/pound exchange rate it may not be quite so expensive. Why don't you phone the Dubai Omega/Tag stores and ask them for a price regarding the specific watch you are looking for? <em>edited by RuthM on 22/07/2014</em>
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 12:20
I bargained for my Omega in Dubai and got it slightly cheaper than the UK Just a word of warning for any services or battery changes DO not do them here, mine stopped after 3 years and they told me it needed a service at 1200AED, I took it to an Omega servicing place in the UK and they said it only needs a battery which cost me 15GBP! slight difference there
Latest post on 22 July 2014 - 11:37
I was looking to buy a watch last year and was particular about what it looked like so was looking at every thing! Ended up buying a Mont Blanc in Selfridges London and once got the VAT back it was 60 quid cheaper than it would have been from Dubai Duty Free where I had seen the same watch. It actually really annoyed me as the DF sells itself as being the best place to buy stuff. I got the VAT back easily, make sure you get the paperwork from the store if you buy in the UK then carry or wear the item and after immigration/security checks at Heathrow go to the VAT refund place. Do not stand outside in the eternal queue of folks with larger items to declare. I got my money back within 3 days on my credit card and was super easy. Good luck.
Latest post on 21 July 2014 - 17:54
Dh bought a watch from the uk, it was slightly cheaper than from Dubai, but only because he claimed the vat back.
Latest post on 21 July 2014 - 17:51
I looked at watches in March for my niece I can't comment on Taghuer but Omega Constellations were slightly cheaper in Uk especially if you factor in claiming the vat back. We looked at loads of watches in Dubai Mall and most places you can negotiate a discount but uk was cheaper for Omega but some others had better prices in Dubai. Last year at Eid Dubai duty free had some great discounts at their airport shops on Omegas.
Latest post on 21 July 2014 - 17:41
I'm looking to buy an Omaga or Tagheur watch for a special birthday present. Does anyone know if Dubai is cheaper than the uk for these sorts of things? I'm already in the Uk and can't find any Dubai prices online to compare the cost. TIA

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY