2 weeks to go...What to bring. | ExpatWoman.com

2 weeks to go...What to bring.

Latest post on 02 August 2014 - 11:47

Hi everyone, well it's official, it's this month we move to Qatar. I was wondering what we can and can't bring with us. I'm currently doing Herbalife and wondered if it would be possible to stock up and bring this along? Also, does any one have any advice as to what else to bring along.

Thanks.

Latest post on 26 August 2014 - 07:25
Oops, sorry, had read about it and clean forgot last night! Is it based at Al Jazi Compound?
Latest post on 25 August 2014 - 22:36
The Doha Mums' Children's Library is actually really good.
Latest post on 25 August 2014 - 19:21
Hi Pootle 765 I told my husband that sunglasses would probably be quite expensive! Lol I'm coming over with 5 pairs so as my daughter like to "play" with them. I've also bought a lot of shoes, although he's assured me that there is a Clark's shoe shop there....but I'm guessing it'll be really expensive. Every time I think I'm finished shopping, I'm told there is something else that we would be cheaper getting whilst we are in the uk lol :) !! You are absolutely right, shoes are my biggest nightmare - they are VERY expensive here (I am back now!) and I am not convinced the measuring is consistent...one of my sons has flat feet so I need to be sure I'm getting things right, plus Clarks don't always fit around his ankles...! Are you here also now? hope you are settling in OK... Australians - all the usual baby stuff is available here, but bring next size up of everything also! Toys...I have older kids now, but struggle with non- branded stuff, you'll find most toys are Movie / TV related. Bring books, there are NO libraries and the bookstore choice is VERY limited. you can buy it all online, but nothing like going into a bookstore and flicking through stuff.... Again, think ahead, beyond picture books because if you are shipping it is much easier to ship a box of books than bring on a plane.. That said I always always bring more out when I fly! DVDs of familiar stuff while you are waiting for internet connection can also be a lifesaver...in the UK we have CBeebies, not sure what Aussie equivalent is? good luck!
Latest post on 12 August 2014 - 15:54
You can get baby panadol no problem. From Oz I used to bring clothes, shoes, kids' SPF 50+ sunscreen and UV protective swimming costumes/hats, mortein, tea tree oil (think you can get it but I like Aussie ones), child friendly mosquito repellent and eucalyptus <em>edited by tamieg1 on 12/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 12 August 2014 - 14:44
Hi, we are moving to Qatar in 1 month from Perth Australia .I have a 1 year old and would love some advice on what to bring for him....nurofen/Panadol? Baby particular stuff! Would so appreciate any advice! Thank you
Latest post on 11 August 2014 - 17:15
How funny that we're all coming over around the 26th. I'm moving over from Northern Ireland with my 2 boys 3.5 and 10 months. Yes would be definitely nice to feel like I know folks before coming over. That's the letter o after the 2not the number 0. I think we've got sorted with somewhere in al gharrafa although nothing is signed yet so don't want to get my hopes up lol. Geni117 my hubby is actually in Beverly Hills tower in the west bay at the minute. If we don't get a house sorted I might be seeing you there lol x Are any if you on Facebook, it's easier to contact people? I'm Tamsin Bromley, I have a profile picture of jay and Henry eating breakfast lol, feel free to add me! What part of n. Ireland? I have family around the shankil area! X
Latest post on 11 August 2014 - 03:38
Hi Pootle 765 I told my husband that sunglasses would probably be quite expensive! Lol I'm coming over with 5 pairs so as my daughter like to "play" with them. I've also bought a lot of shoes, although he's assured me that there is a Clark's shoe shop there....but I'm guessing it'll be really expensive. Every time I think I'm finished shopping, I'm told there is something else that we would be cheaper getting whilst we are in the uk lol :) Hi all, great you are finding friends here! I moved last year and am back in the UK... Here is what is in my suitcase with apologies for those without kids: Tampax (! Not easily available and vanish when they do appear) Kids' shoes and trainers More new sandals and summer pumps for me (driving in flip flops is not for me) Little cardigans from Primark - perfect for covering strappy tops I sew, so double sided bondaweb.. Designer sunglasses from TK Maxx (cost me £10, cost in Doha, add x1 "0") New swimming costume Kids uniform items like socks Kids books Fun kids lunchbox dried fruit snacks (very cheap in UK) LEGO! Small birthday presents for kids from Home Bargains / Wilkos - almost impossible to find stuff in Doha that isn't cheap 99p shop quality or hugely expensive. I am Hello Kitty laiden... ....think that's it... Good luck!
Latest post on 11 August 2014 - 00:59
Hi all, great you are finding friends here! I moved last year and am back in the UK... Here is what is in my suitcase with apologies for those without kids: Tampax (! Not easily available and vanish when they do appear) Kids' shoes and trainers More new sandals and summer pumps for me (driving in flip flops is not for me) Little cardigans from Primark - perfect for covering strappy tops I sew, so double sided bondaweb.. Designer sunglasses from TK Maxx (cost me £10, cost in Doha, add x1 "0") New swimming costume Kids uniform items like socks Kids books Fun kids lunchbox dried fruit snacks (very cheap in UK) LEGO! Small birthday presents for kids from Home Bargains / Wilkos - almost impossible to find stuff in Doha that isn't cheap 99p shop quality or hugely expensive. I am Hello Kitty laiden... ....think that's it... Good luck!
Latest post on 11 August 2014 - 00:36
How funny that we're all coming over around the 26th. I'm moving over from Northern Ireland with my 2 boys 3.5 and 10 months. Yes would be definitely nice to feel like I know folks before coming over. That's the letter o after the 2not the number 0. I think we've got sorted with somewhere in al gharrafa although nothing is signed yet so don't want to get my hopes up lol. Geni117 my hubby is actually in Beverly Hills tower in the west bay at the minute. If we don't get a house sorted I might be seeing you there lol x
Latest post on 09 August 2014 - 01:56
Awww fab. We are from Glasgow. Are you really excited! My little boy is 3 and little girl is 2 so I know what you are saying. It would be good to know a few peeps before coming over, my email address is Yvonnewstein @ hotmail . Co . Uk if you all want to keep in touch! ;)
Latest post on 09 August 2014 - 00:58
- Decent quality kids' shoes & clothes in enough sizes to last next the year (which are half the price at home as they are in Qatar) - birthday cards (limited choice) - things to make your house more homely ie soft furnishings, pictures etc - yes you can buy them but if you've got space it's nice to have your own stuff Most importantly, a sense of humour and a LOT of patience! Looks like a little next spend up is in Order before we come then! <em>edited by Geni117 on 09/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 09 August 2014 - 00:56
We will be coming from Essex (uk) possibly flying around the 26th, we have an apartment in the Beverly Hills in west bay, would be lovely to all meet up, Henry-James is an extremely active social little man (15 months) so would be fantastic for him to meet some play mates too xx
Latest post on 09 August 2014 - 00:48
Hi ladies it's nice to hear from you all. Eleonor, I've tried to recover my emails after a virus, where I lost everything, it's nice to hear from you again!!! Mum22boys, thanks, it's always nice to hear from people in the same boat. We aren't moving over till 26th too....where are you from and where will you be living? Geni117 what about you? Thanks Tamieg1, I've already realised that I'll need patience, my husband has been waiting on internet for 2 weeks now! Lol. It would be really nice to keep in touch with you all, especially if we are moving over around the same time! Yvonne ;)
Latest post on 08 August 2014 - 15:02
- Decent quality kids' shoes & clothes in enough sizes to last next the year (which are half the price at home as they are in Qatar) - birthday cards (limited choice) - things to make your house more homely ie soft furnishings, pictures etc - yes you can buy them but if you've got space it's nice to have your own stuff Most importantly, a sense of humour and a LOT of patience!
Latest post on 08 August 2014 - 02:00
Well, what it is forbidden to bring, as far as I know, is mainly wine and alcohol, pork meat, and the usual forbidden things on an airplane. Some said not to bring books that can be censored, or toys with electronic parts, and that if you send books, you should make a detailed list. Same with DVDs. Some people say that computers and hard disks could be checked. I know that it is forbidden to bring Israeli currency and religious objects and books, apart from ones for personal use. About clothes: they recommend to dress modestly, so maybe it is useless to bring tight and revealing clothing. What to bring: I guess it depends on where you will be living (a furnished house?) and what you cannot do without. As far as I know in Doha you find almost everything. I heard that it is difficult to find decaffeinated tea. I also heard that there is shortage of books, i.e. bookshops do not have a great offer. any other advice? I'll fly on August 21st from Italy, with my daughter. Eleonor Hi everyone, well it's official, it's this month we move to Qatar. I was wondering what we can and can't bring with us. I'm currently doing Herbalife and wondered if it would be possible to stock up and bring this along? Also, does any one have any advice as to what else to bring along. Thanks.
Latest post on 08 August 2014 - 00:26
Hello I'm also in the same boat, I'm mum of 1 who's 15 months, my husband is already there, we are going to be living in the Beverly Hills In west bay, Haha unorganised I haven't even packed a box everything's going to storage and hopefully will bring over minimal things like family photos and Henry's toys xxx
Latest post on 07 August 2014 - 23:50
Hi yve1612, I don't have any advice sorry, as I'm in the same boat as you. Just wanted to say hey and hope all goes well with the move, only a week now right? I'm moving out on the 26th, dead excited, also very unorganised lol x