Sri Lankan Maid gone on holiday, now being told can't return to Dubai! | ExpatWoman.com

Sri Lankan Maid gone on holiday, now being told can't return to Dubai!

Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 16:30

Hi all,
I hired her on a tourist visa, made her do a visa run and she has been employed with us since last November.

She is due to return from her holiday and has urgently contacted me stating that she has been advised she will not be allowed to return to Dubai until I pay a deposit of $400 nun refundable or $1000 refundable to a bank account in Sri Lanka. First I have ever heard of this! and besides, how can I be assured that I will even get my refundable deposit back.

Has anyone come across this and what is your experience with it. And how do you recommend I handle it?

TIA for any info :)

Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 17:35
I got an email with an attachment stating banking details for Sri Lanka Bureau of Foreign Employment. I know that a few years back if you wanted to bring a maid out from Sri Lanka you needed to sign a contract at the embassy with a fee involved obviously. We did this then. But she was already in Dubai when we hired her. But I will give the embassy a call first thing Sunday and hope to straighten this out. She has never given us any reason to doubt her in the past, so I'm just perplexed as to what this is all about.
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 17:27
Are you sure about this? Can you call the Sri Lankan embassy or consulate here to verify? Do you trust this maid?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY