Exchanging UK driving license, not for wives????!!!! | ExpatWoman.com

Exchanging UK driving license, not for wives????!!!!

Latest post on 24 September 2014 - 22:23
I came on a tourist visa and have been driving on my international license. Just got my RP and Qatar ID today so will go and transfer my home license to Qatari license. I have been told to stop driving from today until this process has been completed. Apparently cannot use International license once RP granted. So back to using a driver for about a week I think. Only Americans have to do a driving test.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 13:50
It is perfectly possible (if you have a UK driving licence) but you may want to apply for a temporary licence to start driving straight away. I've been here almost 4 weeks now and am sponsored by my husband. We are from the UK and I have a full UK driving licence. (Didn't have time to get our International Driving Permit, which would've made a HUGE difference). We both applied for our temporary Qatar driving licences at the same time. (He has not yet got his RP). We took his completed application form provided from his employer to the opticians for the eye test. Whilst there, I did my test too, and they had a blank application form there for me, which my husband signed as my sponsor. (I don't know if all opticians will provide these, so get a form first, just in case). We both needed 2 passport photos on a blue background (if you wear glasses for driving, you must be wearing them in the photo). We then took these to the Traffic Department at Madinat Khalifa (check opening times and ensure you arrive before 6.30pm if going in the evening) and they were processed. You need to pay 150QR each by credit or debit card. I also needed a letter in Arabic to say I was requesting a temporary licence and am sponsored by my husband. (We got this from one of the local printing/copying shops that have sprung up near the traffic office to meet demand). I was given my licence then, but it expires when my visit visa expires. When I extend my visit visa I must then return to renew my temporary driving licence. When eventually I get RP, I can have my temporary licence changed for a permanent one. I'm making this sound very straightforward, but I have learnt that the processes here are never simple and I must expect new rules or quirky little surprise rules to appear with no logic, rhyme or reason. (Or to be given incorrect information from an official source, which seems to have been your experience). We had to make 2 trips to the traffic office (almost 3, until we politely challenged a refusal) and it seems to depend who is processing the forms. Our friends have had similar experiences, with a wide range of differing reasons for acceptance or non-acceptance of applications. It's very difficult to get a clear answer about exactly what is needed, and quite unusual to get a licence issued on the first visit. Patience and a sense of humour are essential to the process! I must add however, that during the process, some of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Good luck with settling in and getting driving again!
Latest post on 19 September 2014 - 18:31
It seems Americans have to take a test here not UK citizens
Latest post on 19 September 2014 - 15:29
Definately not true ! once you have RP you can go to traffic department and get a Qatar Licence
Latest post on 18 September 2014 - 21:46
Please tell me that the person who said this to me is wrong. We went to immigration today to submit some documents. My husband asked about exchanging his license so I asked if I could also exchange mine one I have my RP. The lady smiled and replied: no, not for wives. You have to take lessons here and do your tests. I was in shock. I made so much effort to pass the test the day before we left London because I read online that it can be exchanged. Is she right? Or should I just go ahead and start the process with the traffic and transport department once I have my RP? Thank you