Considering Living in Old Town - any thoughts? | ExpatWoman.com

Considering Living in Old Town - any thoughts?

Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 15:49

Hubby and I will be relocating to Dubai in a few months.

We'll have a month or so to find somewhere but am trying to whittle down areas to look at. Old Town looks like the type of place I've been after (apart from the price!) - nice apartments, mall within walking distance, quite close to airport (he'll be commuting weekly to Saudi) etc. Looks quite quiet - but I'd be within walking distance of 'Dubai' as opposed to a lovely villa looking out over more lovely villas which could be in Spain/Portugal etc. Or high rise with great views but I think I'd feel cut off from the world.

Anyone have experiences, good or bad? Also are there any local small shops/supermarkets - I know the Souk Al Bahar is close by but that looks like a Disney set, not for food shopping, and I don't want to go to the Mall for milk etc!

Does anyone have any knowledge of The Old Town Island, Zaafaran or Zanzabeel?

Any other areas anyone would suggest? I also have Dubai Marina, JBR, JLT, The Springs and The Views on my short list but keep coming back to Old Town.

Thanks.

Latest post on 25 September 2014 - 01:23
Thanks for all comments. Sounds like good area but I need to be very careful in picking apartment - there are plenty to choose from! I'd really like a garden apartment so will need to be even more careful as the covered terrace (well, upstairs balcony I suppose!) overhangs a lot. If I do like the area then I'll certainly look at the high rises. Having seen a map with a scale on it, that area seems more compact than I had realised and there is a lot within walking distance. Will no doubt end up in a villa in The Springs!
Latest post on 24 September 2014 - 11:02
The problem with old town apartments is that some of them don't get enough light / sun. So you may wanna hand pick the apt.
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 19:20
It's a fabulous area but do check the apartments as some are very small and dark, especially in old town. Personally, I love downtown and can't wait until the weather cools a bit so we can all to Burj park every night again!
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 02:41
I was not that take with my apartment in Old Town when I was there The outside is wonderful. The Baker and Spice and the Farmhouse shop in Souk al Manzil is also wonderful. The location is great. Spinneys I don't like at all (poor quality) but for basics of course it is fine However, many of the apartments are horribly dark and depressing so you have to be very careful. The downward lighting is terrible. The fittings in the kitchens/bathrooms are ugly and the cupboards are small The Qamardeen part has some with slightly better fittings. Generally ground floor and top floor have higher ceilings Old town island is 10x nicer, lighter, better quality of interiors, more space. It costs more than Old Town but IMO is much nicer The high rises across from Old town (Burj residences, Boulevard Central, 29 Boulevard) are also nice, I didn't feel at all 'cut off' any my apartment was light and airy with a huge walk in closet. And I could take walks by the lake and around the Burj Park which was nice
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 21:32
Souq al Bahar also has a Spinneys.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 16:31
Thanks both. Kids grown up and won't be working at first. Small possibility of a part-time job and don't know where it would be located (though it may be near the airport so that would be quite handy). Hadn't heard of Al Manzil Mall - that would be great for day to day. I don't want to jump in the car for everything - I'm one of those crazy ladies with trolley bags! - so would prefer to walk when the weather allows. It's next to the Al Manzil Hotel. If we didn't have our menagerie. I would live there in a heartbeat
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 16:29
Thanks both. Kids grown up and won't be working at first. Small possibility of a part-time job and don't know where it would be located (though it may be near the airport so that would be quite handy). Hadn't heard of Al Manzil Mall - that would be great for day to day. I don't want to jump in the car for everything - I'm one of those crazy ladies with trolley bags! - so would prefer to walk when the weather allows.
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 15:55
where will you be working? do you have children?
Latest post on 21 September 2014 - 15:53
There are a nice few shops in Al Manzil Mall, including Spinneys, which would do for lots of your shopping. Which is just across the road from Souk Al Bahar <em>edited by Geordie expat on 21/09/2014</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY