Small dog carrier for on board long-haul flight | ExpatWoman.com

Small dog carrier for on board long-haul flight

Latest post on 02 October 2014 - 15:59

Does anyone have a small dog carrier for a long-haul flight (in the cabin) for sale?

Latest post on 16 October 2014 - 11:18
Is this allowed? I have a family member who is very allergic to dogs and cats - gets itchy and swollen and has trouble breathing (asthmatic), so not sure what would happen if there was a dog/cat in the airline cabin with her on a long-haul flight! Dogs/cats do travel in the cabins but only on certain routes/airlines
Latest post on 16 October 2014 - 09:44
Is this allowed? I have a family member who is very allergic to dogs and cats - gets itchy and swollen and has trouble breathing (asthmatic), so not sure what would happen if there was a dog/cat in the airline cabin with her on a long-haul flight!
Latest post on 15 October 2014 - 21:48
they don't take pugs or dogs with short noses as far as I know - what about cruise liners ?
Latest post on 04 October 2014 - 20:57
KLM will charge $200 to Europe or North America per pet (or carrier - in the case of kittens or puppies that can travel in The same crate) as excess baggage. However, if there is more than a 2 hour layover then each pet is subject to an additional compulsory $200 charge for use of the pet hotel. I know this from recent experience.
Latest post on 04 October 2014 - 16:09
The OP did not say which route she was planning to travel with her dog. Whilst it is true that a few airlines allow a very small dog in the cabin, the airline's rules are overridden by the regulations of the country the passenger is flying to and from. In the UAE pets can only arrive as cargo, so they cannot be accepted as either checked baggage or in the cabin into the UAE. For departing from the UAE pets can also be accepted as checked baggage (subject to the country of destination allowing it). Check with the airline about departures from Dubai with a small pet in the cabin, however it is my understanding that it is not allowed from here. edited by Fiat500 on 03/10/2014 I had a friend return to Germany on 30th September (a few days ago) and she took her small dog in the cabin (that was Lufthansa) I think it is only Lufthansa (maybe KLM too?) that allow it.
Latest post on 04 October 2014 - 16:06
ShadyPiper - sorry can I please jump on the bandwagon of questions since you seem to know what you are talking about! :D Where do the dogs go on the plane? Do you have to buy another seat to put them on? Also, have you ever had problems with other passengers saying they have allergies or just generally complaining they don't want animals near them? What do the cabin crew do then? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm sure the answers will be really helpful for those with little dogs! :) Hi Cheeky Monkey Oh I am not an expert by any means! The dogs go in a carrier or crate that fits underneath the seat. Only dogs up to 8kg (including crate) can travel in the cabin. I have actually never taken my own dog in the cabin but this one is very small. My other one has travelled as excess baggage - they go in the hold with the baggage and they seemed perfectly okay! You don't pay for a seat but you do pay a fare (I think it was $200 to go from Dubai to Toronto). Hope that helps :)
Latest post on 03 October 2014 - 12:04
The OP did not say which route she was planning to travel with her dog. Whilst it is true that a few airlines allow a very small dog in the cabin, the airline's rules are overridden by the regulations of the country the passenger is flying to and from. In the UAE pets can only arrive as cargo, so they cannot be accepted as either checked baggage or in the cabin into the UAE. For departing from the UAE pets can also be accepted as checked baggage (subject to the country of destination allowing it). Check with the airline about departures from Dubai with a small pet in the cabin, however it is my understanding that it is not allowed from here. <em>edited by Fiat500 on 03/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 03 October 2014 - 11:11
ShadyPiper - sorry can I please jump on the bandwagon of questions since you seem to know what you are talking about! :D Where do the dogs go on the plane? Do you have to buy another seat to put them on? Also, have you ever had problems with other passengers saying they have allergies or just generally complaining they don't want animals near them? What do the cabin crew do then? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm sure the answers will be really helpful for those with little dogs! :)
Latest post on 03 October 2014 - 09:21
Shadypiper - would you be able to give us more information about how to take a small dog on the flight with you? Do you have any problems at the airport? Where do you put them on the plane? on arrival are there any issues brining a dog in? I would love to take my small dog to Europe with us over the summer but I always thought it was not possible.
Latest post on 03 October 2014 - 09:19
Just curious, what do you do with a dog on board a long haul flight? Surely they'll need to use the loo? Hi there My dogs are fully house trained and go all day (12 hours) without using the loo. Also, before flying they have not to be fed up to 12 hours before - only water. :) Ah ok, wasn't trying to be difficult, just curious. I can't imagine having my animals on board a flight with me, after a couple of hours, they'd be barking and meowing up a storm!
Latest post on 03 October 2014 - 09:17
Just buy one from a shop.
Latest post on 03 October 2014 - 09:03
Just curious, what do you do with a dog on board a long haul flight? Surely they'll need to use the loo? Hi there My dogs are fully house trained and go all day (12 hours) without using the loo. Also, before flying they have not to be fed up to 12 hours before - only water. :)
Latest post on 03 October 2014 - 09:02
This guy supplies 7 different types of crates and will deliver in Dubai and Sharjah. http://dubai.dubizzle.com/classified/pets/pet-accessories/dog-supplies/2014/9/5/pet-carrier-for-large-dogs-2/?back=ZHViYWkuZHViaXp6bGUuY29tL3NlYXJjaC8%2Fa2V5d29yZHM9Z3VsbGl2ZXImaXNfYmFzaWNfc2VhcmNoX3dpZGdldD0xJmlzX3NlYXJjaD0x&pos=3 I've bought three crates from him. Don't use the email option from Dubizzle, call or Whatsapp him. Have you checked your airline will allow pets in the cabin? Thank you SanddyDogg I will do that. Yes I have checked - Lufthansa allow small dogs in cabin.
Latest post on 02 October 2014 - 16:50
This guy supplies 7 different types of crates and will deliver in Dubai and Sharjah. http://dubai.dubizzle.com/classified/pets/pet-accessories/dog-supplies/2014/9/5/pet-carrier-for-large-dogs-2/?back=ZHViYWkuZHViaXp6bGUuY29tL3NlYXJjaC8%2Fa2V5d29yZHM9Z3VsbGl2ZXImaXNfYmFzaWNfc2VhcmNoX3dpZGdldD0xJmlzX3NlYXJjaD0x&pos=3 I've bought three crates from him. Don't use the email option from Dubizzle, call or Whatsapp him. Have you checked your airline will allow pets in the cabin?
Latest post on 02 October 2014 - 16:05
Just curious, what do you do with a dog on board a long haul flight? Surely they'll need to use the loo?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY