Polio campaigns in schools...Top up Vaccine to be given. | ExpatWoman.com

Polio campaigns in schools...Top up Vaccine to be given.

Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 13:23

I did not give permission for my child to have another polio vaccine administered but am now wondering if I should have....What are the chances of our children getting polio anyways? Any input? My child's vaccines are all up to date.
<em>edited by Appletiser on 23/11/2014</em>

Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 09:19
Our doctor said there has been an outbreak in Pakistan,Nigeria and Afganistan and since so many of those nationalities come to Dubai its okay to give top up. He replied to my email. I did a bit of research and in those countries where the outbreaks came it was in very poor regions,in small towns with poor sanitation. I dont think those type of people will be visiting Dubai soon and I am definitely not going there! I'm amazed your doctor did not know about the regional issue, there have been concerns all over the medical media about Syria all last year.
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 09:18
Is the polio one the drop on a sugar cube one? Or is it an injection? It is the oral one, but no longer on sugar as deemed unhealthy! SO a few drops in the mouth only, quick simple and effective.
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 06:27
Is the polio one the drop on a sugar cube one? Or is it an injection?
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 06:11
Polio outbreaks this year Nigeria 6 Afghanistan 20 Pakistan 246 All in small towns and in remote regions. I think its safe to say we are not in immediate danger. Appletiser, it is not just these countries who have seen a problem with Polio, Syria, Iraq both have had cases of Polio, Syria was polio free and now has cases. Conflict and mass migration brings problems. Certain factions will not allow vaccination programs to continue that were in place, is another complication. There has been a mass effort across the region to address this, Ongoing activities include: • In Syria: 2.9 million children targeted for immunization in November • In Iraq: 5.8 million children vaccinated in October • In Lebanon: 550,000 children to be immunized in November • In Jordan: 1.1 million targeted to be vaccinated in November • In Egypt: 15 million children targeted for immunization in November • In Turkey: 300,000 children were targeted to be vaccinated in October Countries in the Middle East are very wisely stepping up their programs to make sure every child gets vaccinated against a preventable disease. WHO has advised countries to act and they are. The potential is actually very serious, hence why mass vaccination programs are being implemented across the region. It is the duty of parents and residents to support the advice of their doctors and the UAE vaccination program. Obviously if your children have been vaccinated on a regular basis as per MOH guidelines then advice should be sort from your Doctor as to whether a top up is required. https://www.zawya.com/story/UNICEF_and_WHO_back_final_push_against_polio_in_the_Middle_East-ZAWYA20141109090417/
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 00:07
Hello everybody My daughter who is 4 yrs and 5 months has had all polio vaccines required since birth, including the last one which is to be administered between 4-6 yr age. I have asked her paediatrician at American Hospital and he said there should not be any top up given to her.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 15:19
Polio outbreaks this year Nigeria 6 Afghanistan 20 Pakistan 246 All in small towns and in remote regions. I think its safe to say we are not in immediate danger. True not in danger but you know how many laborers come from small towns and remote regions? Probably also your gardener. Just saying.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 14:53
Polio outbreaks this year Nigeria 6 Afghanistan 20 Pakistan 246 All in small towns and in remote regions. I think its safe to say we are not in immediate danger.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 14:45
Our doctor said there has been an outbreak in Pakistan,Nigeria and Afganistan and since so many of those nationalities come to Dubai its okay to give top up. He replied to my email. I did a bit of research and in those countries where the outbreaks came it was in very poor regions,in small towns with poor sanitation. I dont think those type of people will be visiting Dubai soon and I am definitely not going there!
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 13:43
If your child's vaccines are all up to date, then the OPV wouldn't be required, would it?
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 13:33
It never hurts to get a polio update and it can improve efficacy despite the small odds of your child getting polio. This is useful in Dubai where many people come from countries where polio vaccines are not given universally. Unfortunately, our school screwed up and didn't send out the notice until the night before the deadline so nearly all of our school won't get the top up.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY