Type 1 diabetic moving to Doha soon! Advice needed. | ExpatWoman.com

Type 1 diabetic moving to Doha soon! Advice needed.

Latest post on 25 January 2015 - 13:26

Good morning ladies! My husband and I are moving to Doha in next few weeks! We are both type 1 diabetic, we are wondering how other Type 1 diabetics manage with their insulin routine in Doha.
1. How do you order/receive insulin?
2. What about glucose testing meters and testing strips?
3. What is the Diabetes care like?
Any tips on this subject would be fantastic. Now that it's getting closer, starting to panic about little things Lol!
We are from the UK, and our doctor here has been fantastic, making sure we have enough medication to cover first 3 months.
In anticipation, Sandra.

Latest post on 27 January 2015 - 13:23
Thank you Kiwi silver, our doctor has been fantastic and supplied us with 3 months worth of meds. I have found when I have been abroad in the past that my sugar levels fluctuate, I know how to adjust my insulin to help that. That's a shame your friends had to leave. It's a minefield, but fingers crossed we get on ok. Thank you again for your help.
Latest post on 27 January 2015 - 08:49
I'd suggest you come with extra supplies of your insulin and other requirements. There are many diabetes services in Doha, however they may not be of the same level you are used to. The adjustment to heat and change in physical activity levels and different foods take some adjusting to. As adults I'm sure it's very manageable. Friends who had an 11yr old type one, could not get same insulin he was on in his home country, and struggled to get good peadatric collaborative diabetic management. His sugars were out of control due to reduce activity in the heat, etc. all things that can be managed, but to be aware of. They left, partly due to the diabetes care not being of the same standard they were used to. Good luck.
Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 21:36
Marycatherine, thank you so much for this information, much appreciated, sandra.
Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 07:56
Diabetes 1 and 2 are rampant here in Qatar. Hamad Hospital has modern facilities to help diabetic patients. Here is a link to a website with more info. http://www.dohafamily.com/Autumn-2014/The-diabetes-challenge/ You can also google Hamad Hospital Diabetes and get some more info. Glucose testing meters and strips are widely available in every pharmacy as well as at clinics and hospitals. I cant' speak to the topic directly but it seems the care is high quality, especially as so many Qataris are diabetic or prediabetic.