Part time Labor Law in the UAE? | ExpatWoman.com

Part time Labor Law in the UAE?

Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 16:20
When the part time work law is discussed on the radio, and in newspaper articles, it is generally referring to working part time for another employer with your original employer's approval. It is not talking about the number of hours per week you work. As long as you have a ministry contract, labour card etc, generally the number of hours you actually work is determined between you and your employer. As long as you have everything documented and signed, MOL is usually only concerned with whether not the employee is going over the stipulated hours per week in the labour law. http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/uae-employees-allowed-to-work-part-time-at-another-job-mol-2014-09-23-1.563850
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 16:01
Does this then mean you are working illegally? If the MOL were to make a visit would you have the right documents to prove you can work there!? I'm not sure it matters what work hours you do, that is stipulated in your official labour contract (green sheet) Like Silvistet said, you are missing out on benefits.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 15:54
When the part time work law is discussed on the radio, and in newspaper articles, it is generally referring to working part time for another employer with your original employer's approval. It is not talking about the number of hours per week you work. As long as you have a ministry contract, labour card etc, generally the number of hours you actually work is determined between you and your employer. As long as you have everything documented and signed, MOL is usually only concerned with whether not the employee is going over the stipulated hours per week in the labour law.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 09:41
That's the thing silvnet, I do not do a 'freelance' job, as I'm working on project basis. I go to the office everyday, just for 6 hours a day instead of 8 or 9. The only reason I have a 'freelance' contract is because there's no other legal contractual framework for me to work on part time basis. I'm ok with not having medical insurance or sponsorship, but what I don't see as reasonable is not having any sick, maternity or annual leaves, and basically the company could terminate me at any point of time. I was hoping this could change soon :)
Latest post on 01 March 2015 - 08:55
sadly, nothing that I know of yet ... but I see more and more part time work available in companies (maily Sme's) so I am sure something will come up ...
Latest post on 28 February 2015 - 21:34
Hi, i heard sometime back - on Dubai Eye - that UAE was considering introducing part time labor law, which would be great for many people including working moms! i have a 'Freelance' contract which does not entitle me to sponsorship, annual leaves, medical insurance..etc. and that's because i chose to work 6 hours a day. i was wondering if any of you ladies can verify/ or has an update on this? i'm keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY