School Problem | ExpatWoman.com

School Problem

Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 06:39

The school is making the kids repeat the same assessments they had in term 1!
Anyone experienced this before, and if yes how did you handle it?
I am anyways planning to report them to KHDA, but would like to hear from others as well.
<em>edited by Carambar on 02/03/2015</em>

Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 12:32
Yikes! As already mentioned, the teacher giving the kids the verbal caveat is worrisome to me, if true. If new material was covered in the three months, I don't see why the exact same test would be repeated, maybe if an assessment pre-test? Sounds frustrating.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 12:24
Did you get the results for the tests? I would be more worried about the results than having the same test twice. If there was little improvement in the 3 months in between the tests you have a good argument as you can't actually prove she lied. Or it could also be a sign of a school in financial difficulties. ;)
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 12:12
That narrows it down to about 50 lol.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 12:11
I have no clue! I'll post the school name after i report them. You can try to solve the quiz for now: They are an international British School and they advertise on here.:biggrin:
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 12:06
Have you asked the school why? Maybe they can sit down with you and explain. Of course i did! They have a new teacher this term, so i asked her how come they are repeating the same thing, she lied and said she didn't know they've done it before. All the kids said that before handing them the papers she told them i know you've done it before but that was 3 months back and you forgot. That is more worrying than repeating the test, why lie? What are they hiding?
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 12:05
Love to know which school this is, yes go to KHDA and bring it to their attention, they can do a spot inspection. Of course if results improve it looks better and less questions get asked as to why children are not improving........because most parents never know... Some schools do churn out the same set of standardised tests each year, the results always look better. The give away is teh kids coming home telling you it was the same test! lol
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 11:57
Have you asked the school why? Maybe they can sit down with you and explain. Of course i did! They have a new teacher this term, so i asked her how come they are repeating the same thing, she lied and said she didn't know they've done it before. All the kids said that before handing them the papers she told them i know you've done it before but that was 3 months back and you forgot.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 11:51
Have you asked the school why? Maybe they can sit down with you and explain.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 11:09
It's not common practice anywhere... Sounds very odd to do exactly the same assesment. Sometimes repeats can be done for graded coursework but this doesn't sound like that.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 11:06
They can figure that out from a different assessment aligned at the same level. It makes no sense at all to make a kid sit down and repeat a comprehension for instance that they've done a couple of months back. They remember the text, questions and answers. I honestly have never seen a school doing this in my whole life, that's why i wanted to check with you ladies, if this is common practice here before i report them.
Latest post on 02 March 2015 - 10:47
do you know why? I would have thought that it would be to compare your child's results and see how they do now having been back at school for several months.. sort of to gage the teachers' teaching methods and how much the children have learned. Just a thought, I mean, what would be the benefit of having them resit the exact paper...and they shared this with the class and parents in advance...I probably wouldn't speculate but rather ask the administration... <em>edited by xmasbaby on 02/03/2015</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY