Advice on finding a job in Doha | ExpatWoman.com

Advice on finding a job in Doha

Latest post on 20 March 2015 - 09:29

Hello,

I am an American student and will be graduating in May with a degree in English (writing and literature) from a top university.

I would love to move to Doha and am currently applying to jobs (teaching, tutoring, research, cultural/arts administration, writing...I am very open to all possibilities).

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on using agencies or applying directly through companies?

Is it easier to find a job in person? I have a friend I could stay with temporarily in Doha.

I run my own tutoring and childcare business in the states. Does anyone have tutoring companies to recommend that offer sponsorship in Doha?

Thank you!

Latest post on 20 March 2015 - 18:29
There are several recruiters with websites for Qatar/GCC - they're easy to find through Google. You have no teaching qualification - and anyone who would hire you without one won't provide sponsorship, benefits or a living wage. Qatar is expensive and steadily climbing. Admin jobs are usually held by Asian expats who are either here on a spouse/father's sponsorship (so no visa required) and they will accept a less than desirable wage. As for research - there are 6 American Universities here in Education City (again, Google will help identify them) - I would imagine such jobs would be thin on the ground and filled by people with substantial post grad experience. No tutoring company would offer sponsorship or a living wage. You don't say why you would love to live and work in Doha? As for coming and looking for work in person, even in Dubai most people search anywhere from 3 - 12 months before they find something acceptable. And even if you took something as a stop gap you won't be able to switch employers without a No Objection Certificate and most employers don't provide them. Without one, you get a two year ban.