Which oil do you use in cakes | ExpatWoman.com

Which oil do you use in cakes

Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 15:44
Have you thought of using almond oil perhaps :)
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 14:45
I have just made a carrot cake using the Organic Cafés olive oil and my cake taste of olive oil...I'm a useless baker, but wanted to try to make something for a change. Please share your secrets for cakes like carrot cake that has oil in the recipe. I always use canola oil, made from oil seed rape, as I always have a bottle on the go (it has a very high 'smoke point' so is good for roasting/frying etc). It's allegedly a healthy oil as far as oils go, and it's completely tasteless, unlike stinky, yucky, nasty coconut oil! (Can you tell I'm not a fan?!) It's very economical and available at all supermarkets.
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 13:42
The 'Themed Boards' were handy when the board moved quicker than a Buggati Veyron on Emirates Road. Not so much anymore.
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 12:46
Hi there! We recommend posting food related posts on the Foodie section of the forum: http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/forum34-foodie-forum.aspx Just so ladies know where to look if they want to learn something about foodie-related. Many thanks! Warm regards, EW Admin
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 11:49
I always use coconut oil, I prefer the texture it gives compared to other oils. But if you've got nothing against butter then that is perfect.
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 11:25
Sunflower oil Or...butter where I can (yes i know I know...but it's a cake, it's not meant to be diet food) I also made an "Olive oil cake" once...even the kids wouldn't eat it :) Butter is healthy now, don't you know?
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 11:25
Never use olive oil for cakes! Sunflower or one of the lighter oils that does not have much taste. I wished I asked here before I started.... Hope my frosting can disguise some of the olive taste :-( No idea why I never thought about it. LOL, chuck it out and start again.
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 11:19
Sunflower oil Or...butter where I can (yes i know I know...but it's a cake, it's not meant to be diet food) I also made an "Olive oil cake" once...even the kids wouldn't eat it :) Yes I don't mind butter, as it's not every day I bake cakes. Would it be ok to swap the oil for melted butter? Anyway thanks I will get a bottle of sunflower oil for my extremely occasional baking ? No use normal non salted butter and not melted. Butter is good for you, if you really want to push the boat out use organic Rachel's butter. Melted butter will not work in a cake mix, you can do half sunflower and half butter, but again don't melt the butter.
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 11:10
Never use olive oil for cakes! Sunflower or one of the lighter oils that does not have much taste.
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 10:59
Sunflower oil Or...butter where I can (yes i know I know...but it's a cake, it's not meant to be diet food) I also made an "Olive oil cake" once...even the kids wouldn't eat it :)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY