contract termination | ExpatWoman.com

contract termination

Latest post on 25 June 2015 - 01:49
Thanks to all for your comments. Upwards and onwards I guess to rebuild life here.
Latest post on 24 June 2015 - 10:21
It's a horrible thing to happen but you're best chalking this one up to experience. You could (in theory and depending on what the papers you have signed actually said, a good company would have protected themselves for this) sue for your losses but it would probably cost you more than you would recover. Normally a contract will provide that you're on probation for a period of time and the notice period for dismissal in probation is usually very short.
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 15:22
I would suggest you check your offer, you never had a contract, you had a contract offer. ALL expat contract offers are ALWAYS contingent on your meeting the Ministry of Interior's visa requirements (and you can't pass all of those until you are here, on the ground). One of those requirements is having a job available, now there isn't one. You can make legal enquiries but you will probably find that you don't have a leg to stand on HERE. However, if the company has offices in your home country you may be able to pursue them legally there. The legal system here is antiquated and decisions are often dependent seemingly on wind direction, the judge's digestive system and whether you wear glasses or not. I'd be very very very surprised if you got a positive response from a lawyer of any ability here. And able lawyers are few and far between too. Get some legal advice but I've never seen anyone win anything in your situation in 15+ years in the GCC. The 2 websites mentioned previously do not address reneging on contract offers, probably for good reason. It's very frustrating, and frightening when you've literally turned your world upside down to come here and now it's all been chucked back at you. I can only imagine the stress and emotional roller coaster you and your family are now on.
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 12:56
Wow, what an awful position you are in. I'm sorry :-( http://www.deebcolaw.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=18 http://www.qatarlaw.com/practice-areas/employment-and-labour Maybe you can give the above law firms a call and they can advise you on what to do. One of their specialties is labor law and contract disputes. Who is the director of HR at this company? Is it a Qatari company or an international company? I hope you can get this situation resolved. Good luck
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 12:10
Hi Does anyone have any advice on how I can proceed. I am a week from moving to Qatar for a job and the Company has pulled the contract due to internal challenges. I have sold my home, taken my kids out of school and lost their school places and my husband has left his job also. I have been reassured that my post is protected throughout the whole process in writing. Thanks