Moving to QATAR | ExpatWoman.com

Moving to QATAR

Latest post on 28 June 2015 - 16:50

Hello! I'm British and moving to QATAR early September. Can anyone recommend good networking clubs/societies for newbies?

Also what's the job market like as I'm hoping to work.

Many thanks

Fiona

Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 10:56
Hi, I have been here 5 months, also from the UK. I joined Ladies Who Lunch Doha, after only being here one week. They have a Facebook page. You can meet all sorts of different ladies, some who work, some who don't, kids/no kids, a real varied group. Some people have been here for years, and some days/weeks/months. They usually have a coffee morning at the Intercontinental Hotel, due to the holidays at the moment they aren't, but by Sepetember they will be up and running again. I have been to lots of events with them, great fun, open evenings at make up stores, dhow boat ride, inspirational talks, also nights out at local hotels/bars. Do you know where you will be staying? I don't work, so can't help you on that front, however I know a couple of girls who do, and sometimes they are looking for people, so do join groups as they are a great way of networking. Feel free to ask anything, I will try my best to get you an answer. :)
Latest post on 28 June 2015 - 20:00
I've never been - But I think Tuesday Ladies Group is popular. Qatar Women's Professional Network is a good way to start networking for job hunting. Doha Mums is great if you have kids. Job market depends on your skills and expectations. What are you looking to do? Some fields aren't particularly developed here. Then there are some jobs here that pay much less than they would in the UK, like retail and nursing. LinkedIn is popular tool here. I think there are a lot of positngs on Bayt.com, but have never used it myself. For finding a job, it's best to meet as many people as you can, so getting out to meet people is key. Also, identify specific companies you might like to work for an scan their employment pages. That may work better for you than bayt.com or similar.