Double Medical Insurance Cover? Is this legal in Dubai? | ExpatWoman.com

Double Medical Insurance Cover? Is this legal in Dubai?

Latest post on 02 July 2015 - 20:38

I am wondering if a woman can be medically insured by two insurers in Dubai. One by her employer and the other independently. I ask this as my current employers Medical Insurance covers basic maternity below current market practice and won't be reviewed in time for the birth. I will pay in excess of 25k AED for a normal birth (outside hospital surgeon) and much much more for a c- section or complications.

Can I opt for a second medical provider independently paid? I've read the Dubai Government Regulation document from April 2014 but havent found anything covering this point. A broker in Dubai tells me yes, an Account Manager from my employers medical insurance says this is illegal. Please can someone provide clarity.

Latest post on 03 July 2015 - 14:41
Thank you to everyone who made the effort to reply. This is really helpful and easing. :biggrin:
Latest post on 03 July 2015 - 10:24
Me and my child have 2 insurance policies, one from my employer, and the other from my husbands employer. Haven't had an issues for the past few years with renewing. However I can't claim from both insurers for the same medical visit, the doctors clinics don't allow it. So I just use the insurance that offers direct billing with the clinic I am visiting. If you are planning to buy a new policy to cover the delivery, check if prenatal care is deducted from the total amount they cover at delivery. If it is it might be better to use the insurance your employer provides for your prenatal check ups and use your private insurance for the delivery.
Latest post on 02 July 2015 - 22:01
It is against the regulations to be included in more than one scheme. If found out, both providers would be within their rights to refuse to process claims.
Latest post on 02 July 2015 - 21:45
Gosh I am surprised if it is, I am currently double insured - by my new employer and also still by my ex employer, and will be until November. I then intend to take my own out as the company one doesn't offer me everything I want it too.
Latest post on 02 July 2015 - 21:15
I have been on 2 different insurances at the same time (1 my own, 1 from my company) and there was a 4 month overlap in which I didnt face any issues. I chose not to renew my personal one since I had one from work, but no one even asked! It is worth investigating further though, maybe i just got lucky!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY