Teenagers night away...... | ExpatWoman.com

Teenagers night away......

Latest post on 06 October 2015 - 21:23

So we all know the rules and laws well.....but sometimes I want to find a way to parent as we would back home....and demonstrate our trust in our kids.

Group of teenagers 17-19 planning a night away at a cheap resort, planning to play cards, swim etc with no parents. Thankfully himself 'fessed up and came clean before as the others are apparently not telling their folks. (In itself a warning sign)

No issues with trust now and know there may be a few beers but the bunch are fun and have got over excess. We don't believe at all this is 9.5 weeks - they want some freedom and independence.

He won't listen to our concerns that (a) there may be teens and Teen-Esses under the same roof (b) other guests may complain or take offence even while the teens may not be doing anything wrong (c) if something worse happens how do they deal with it or get home as they are not driving.

We know our answer and decision is final - it is painful to deliver to a teen that doesn't want to hear.

I know many of you face the same decisions and curious if the more lenient parents would allow them to go.

Latest post on 09 October 2015 - 13:03
If they get caught drinking or romancing they can get jail time or other punishments.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 09 October 2015 - 12:23
Oopsiedaisy, an excellent question! Something I would be asking my son. Even more deception from a group of friends feeling so guilty about their planned activity that they cannot tell their parents where they are going.
Latest post on 09 October 2015 - 08:17
Maybe a very naïf question, but how can a 17-year old check into a resort without having his parents around?
Latest post on 09 October 2015 - 07:32
No way. It won't be playing cards and swimming. Some will definitely get drunk / get romantic etc and could end up in jail. If this was back home, I would have a different answer.
Latest post on 08 October 2015 - 23:01
A definite no no. If there is alcohol involved, if it gets out of hand and the police become involved, they will all be in trouble for underage drinking. As his parents you too will be in trouble. As much as it will be disappointing for your son, it's not worth the risk.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 08 October 2015 - 22:28
Definitely I would say no. It would not be about "my son" but rather what the others may get up to - it will only take one complaint to ruin your lives here. Why take the chance? I am sure your son will understand. The laws about alcohol, male and females who are unmarried staying together, etc - why take the risk?
Latest post on 06 October 2015 - 22:30
If it were my child I would say no, only because regardless if you trust your son do you trust everyone else that will be there? Do you know everyone else that will be there? If none of the other parents know their children are going are you willing to admit you knew about it if something goes terribly wrong? If your child is over 18 then it's his call I guess but I'm not sure I would want my child to be in a group where there were under age kids secretly running away for the night when their parents think they are elsewhere. That's my opinion and of course I'm sure others with have theirs, I'm sure u will make the right decision.
Latest post on 06 October 2015 - 22:21
Hello, sorry what do you mean by brunch is over excess and 9.5weeks??

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY