Visa when leaving | ExpatWoman.com

Visa when leaving

Latest post on 22 November 2015 - 06:56

We are planning a move to Oman but whilst DH will move in The new year, we need to stay to the end of the school year. Not unusual for many families I am sure.

So visas. Our residence runs out in June, perfect timing if we could keep them but not necessarily possible, we have not yet approached HR. Can we do visa runs up and down to Oman for the period?

Our last employer just let our visas run till the end, with the signed confirmation that they we not responsible for us but they were international company and gave us the 8 months to get sorted.

Advice anyone? We are happy enough with going up and down, as DH will be there anyway but is it feasible?

Latest post on 22 November 2015 - 17:13
I've been in this position for a number of years and it is "doable" for the short time you have left in my opinion so long as you don't try to get new services or lose you bank card etc. Get anything like that done before you cancel, exrtra or new bank cards if they are going to expire, do a car registration early it will expire during that time period, your phone numbers, etc. It can be frustrating and the id card has made it incredibly frustrating but many people do it out of necessity.
Latest post on 22 November 2015 - 14:46
Paddyexpat, you are not the first person to face this or the last. There are many families in your position and while a lot of what has been said about this issue is correct, it's up to you to decide whether you want to take the risk. You have everything in place now (Emirates ID, school, driving license, rent, bank accounts, etc.) so chances are no one will be asking you to show them your residence visa again. However, if they do, then you may encounter problems. If your husband's company will allow you to keep the visas that would be ideal, bearing in mind that this means your husband's visa should not be cancelled as he is your sponsor. Some companies are willing to do this and others are not (in some cases they simply can't because of visa quotas, so they may need your husband's visa to be cancelled so they can employ and sponsor a new employee). If you can organise a residence visa for yourself (are you working? or do you own property?) and then you sponsor your children, that would be the second ideal option. All the best! It's really a tough call and on top of the stress you already face with your husband's move.
Latest post on 22 November 2015 - 13:31
This is turning into a big issue. Basically you are saying we are trapped until the summer or we forfeit my daughters education. I suppose we could all move and she could come back for a couple of weeks whilst she does exams but it would be so disruptive.
Latest post on 22 November 2015 - 13:31
This is turning into a big issue. Basically you are saying we are trapped until the summer or we forfeit my daughters education. I suppose we could all move and she could come back for a couple of weeks whilst she does exams but it would be so disruptive.
Latest post on 22 November 2015 - 12:11
What about medical insurance? Isn't that dependent on residence visa? If your husband's Omani company have some presence in uae, It might be worthwhile to discuss with them the possibility if they can sponsor you here till June? Our friends have done this . DH is working in some other GCC country and they are still in dubai on a residence visa with sponsorship from the new employer.
Latest post on 22 November 2015 - 11:59
As I understand it your driving licence becomes invalid once your residency visa is cancelled, regardless of whether it has still got months or years to go. If you get another residency visa before your driving licence expires then it is reinstated but while you don't have residency you cannot use your UAE driving licence. No driving licence, no insurance. I believe you would have to get an IDP and rent a car but I may be wrong - I'm sure others may have the answer to this. Re the ID card, when our visas were cancelled in 2012 they took our ID cards and cancelled them at the same time. As for the school issue I agree that many children attend school whilst visa issues are being sorted out but your situation will be somewhat different in that you will not have a visa application under process as you are not intending to stay once your daughter has taken her exams. I don't mean to be negative about all this but these are issues which need to be considered.
Latest post on 22 November 2015 - 11:34
Good points. Our ID cards are valid until June, does anyone know if you have to hand them back? Daughter registered legally At school, with all the ID card, passport copies etc for this school year although I had not considered the school having a problem with that, many kids have ongoing visa issues, particularly if their sponsorship is changing but I will look into that now you have pointed it out! My driving licence has been continually valid for 25 years here, despite a one year sojourn to Saudi somewhere in the middle, so that probably won't be a problem and if necessary I can pay for everything on credit card or with cash. We simply cannot move her until she has finished her GCSEs in June and I am trying to keep the disturbance to a minimum for the kids.
Latest post on 22 November 2015 - 10:07
I would hazard a guess that, if your passports are issued by one of the countries on the "approved list", you will be able to do visa runs to Hatta/Wajaja. However, assuming that your husband's visa will be cancelled by his employer before he moves to Oman, will your tenancy agreement still be valid? Will you still be able to have a DEWA account? Bank account/s? Will your children still be able to attend their school if you are not legal residents (as opposed to, basically, being tourists)? I believe that there are more issues involved here than simply not having a resident visa. And obviously, no visa means no ID card or driving licence, either.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY