Company messed up the holidays | ExpatWoman.com

Company messed up the holidays

Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 11:40

The UK office just noted November 30 and December 2 as our days off and are reluctant to change it. What can one do?

Latest post on 27 November 2015 - 22:30
Actually even if it is a UK company the one thing they can't opt out of is the labour laws of the country where they are based.
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 15:26
I believe that it is illegal in the UAE for offices to be open on public holidays, and I have heard of random checks being made. You might want to check into that and raise that point with your UK office. IF that were true - which it's not - then nothing would be open. Plus if it's a UK company, then technically they don't actually have to observe the UAE holidays at all, it's a choice, some do, some don't.
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 14:01
its not illegal to be open on public holidays as long as it is compensated by another day in lieu or overtime payment. this is how it is applied to shops, hotels etc
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 13:44
I believe that it is illegal in the UAE for offices to be open on public holidays, and I have heard of random checks being made. You might want to check into that and raise that point with your UK office.
Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 11:50
If they are reluctant to change it - probably not much. This happens sometimes here, unfortunately. My husband's company has a very fast and loose approach to their observance of holidays. Sometimes they fall in our favour, sometimes they don't.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY