Latest post at
I found this post at a good time, as I am moving from the UAE in some time!!
Positives of this place:
- As a western expat I have realized that I have the better end of the deal - in terms of a job, perks that come with it and the lifestyle I lived based on what I earned.
- The Emirates is safe for a woman and mostly convenient (Dubai is good with it's transport. Sharjah and northern Emirates need to step up with their transport facilities).
- Other expats have been friendly and welcoming. I think we all know what it feels like to be in a new place and we're here to make friends and good memories.
Things to work on:
- Driving in the Emirates needs to change. It includes no tail tagging - if you are in a hurry move to the next lane and keep driving. It also includes indicating before changing lanes. Preferably full 3 seconds before coming in the other lane.
- Changing mindset about how people such as home helpers, mall cleaners, supermarket, café and restaurant workers are treated. Their salaries may be different, that still gives no rights to look down on them. We are independent adults - they are not here to tidy up our mess, to micro manage us or to raise our children. This is our responsibility
- Thinking about what children are eating. Lunch/dinner needs to include fruits and vegetables. Not just Oreo biscuits, chocolate and strawberry roll ups, juices and chips. Before buying those lets look at the back of the packs and see the fat and sugar content. I have lived in a few countries; and children as young as 5 and 6 should not have black color teeth.