Australia info needed!! Melbourne | ExpatWoman.com

Australia info needed!! Melbourne

Latest post on 05 May 2016 - 13:34

Hi ladies,

I have few queries
1- is it a better idea to move to Australia the first time after getting PR or just stay there for few days, look around n thn make a final move.
2- How about the housing cost for 4 ppl ( 2 kids n 2 adults) .. ( Sydney n Melbourne )

3- Good areas for muslims where halal food is easily available. ( in Melbourne)

Which is better ? Sydney or Melbourne?
Ur feedback will be highly beneficial for me.
TIA

Latest post on 22 May 2016 - 17:10
We r planning to move either Sydney or Melbourne ... Can someone plz advise me on teaching requirements. If i do cache level3 from Dubai, will it b helpful? Also, is there safety deposit boxes ( lockers) facilities there n approx. how much? Thnkxxx I can only tell about melbourne that safety deposit boxes are available in major banks and they have long waiting lists (6 months plus atleast) in cbd area. You would need to go with private companies who provide this service and should expect to pay atleast 100 dollars more than what a bank would charge for same service. E.g. bank might charge 164 dollars for a yearly rental for the smallest size ..a private company might charge 276 dollars for the same size box yearly rental. If you do plan to arrive with valuables and need something urgent then budget to cough up that much money there is no other way. Also no bank answers call here so if you want to find availability you would have to go from branch to branch physically to enquire and put your name down. Hope it helps. Hi, Can u plzz give me some contact num or websites for private agencies that offer safety lockers services as we are planning to travel with the valuables. Also, is it safe to walk around in Melbourne or sydney with jewlry? Or we its not recommended. TIA Guardian vaults is a big private company with branch in both sydney and melbourne. I am not sure what you mean by walking around with jewellery? I have not seen anyone flashing their wealth and jewelery over here so I am not sure how safe it would be if you plan to do it. You can arrive with your valuables and keep them in safety deposit box in your hotel (big hotels offer this service) and then sign up for a box and transfer. You can check sizes of boxes available and rates on the Guardian vaults website. In sydney there are other private companies also. Options are limited in melbourne. Google for "private companies safety deposit box"
Latest post on 21 May 2016 - 01:05
We r planning to move either Sydney or Melbourne ... Can someone plz advise me on teaching requirements. If i do cache level3 from Dubai, will it b helpful? Also, is there safety deposit boxes ( lockers) facilities there n approx. how much? Thnkxxx I can only tell about melbourne that safety deposit boxes are available in major banks and they have long waiting lists (6 months plus atleast) in cbd area. You would need to go with private companies who provide this service and should expect to pay atleast 100 dollars more than what a bank would charge for same service. E.g. bank might charge 164 dollars for a yearly rental for the smallest size ..a private company might charge 276 dollars for the same size box yearly rental. If you do plan to arrive with valuables and need something urgent then budget to cough up that much money there is no other way. Also no bank answers call here so if you want to find availability you would have to go from branch to branch physically to enquire and put your name down. Hope it helps. Hi, Can u plzz give me some contact num or websites for private agencies that offer safety lockers services as we are planning to travel with the valuables. Also, is it safe to walk around in Melbourne or sydney with jewlry? Or we its not recommended. TIA
Latest post on 09 May 2016 - 08:32
I am from Sydney, so am contractually obligated to say that it is better than Melbourne ? Both cities have large Muslim populations, so I don't think that needs to dictate your choice. I would be more focused on where you would be more likely to be able to find work. You will be able to find halal food without any problems. In Sydney, suburbs like Rockdale/Hurstville/Arncliffe, Lakemba/Bankstown spring to mind as having large established Muslim communities. This link might be helpful http://www.living-in-sydney.com/muslims-in-sydney-Australia.html You should be aware that housing, particularly in Sydney (and then, particularly in the 15-20km radius of the city), is extremely expensive. Both the rental and purchasing market are eye-watering at the moment. My understanding is that Melbourne is heading in the same direction but isn't quite as bad as Sydney just yet. The suburb that I currently live in is about 12km from the city and rent for a 2bdr apartment is rapidly approaching AUD $600/wk. The lifestyle in both cities is good, albeit different. Very generally, Sydney is a coastal town with a beach lifestyle, whereas Melbourne has lots of interesting alleyways and a cafe and wine bar culture that has sprung up around the laneways. Of course, you can find lots of cafes and small bars in Sydney, but only in certain pockets. Hi little penguin! Sorry to hijack this thread But we also are considering moving to Australia but specifically to Adelaide. Have you ever been there? any information would be great! How are the schools? And it is true that children only get free education starting at the age of 5? How expensive is it? And how's the average salary or rent for a family of 3? Are part time jobs common or just like here? Thank you! We have visited adelaide and liked it. It's a smallish city, slow paced life and not crazy crowded like melbourne but the job market is very poor. Difficult to find jobs, especially stable jobs. My brother used to live there but finally moved after almost a year full of unemployment and contract jobs. He is much more settled in NT. If you have a choice consider other bigger cities like sydney and melbourne for your first time move where you can get employed quickly. If there is no choice then budget for supporting yourself until you could find work which could be 6 months depending on the job you are after.
Latest post on 09 May 2016 - 08:24
Hi ladies, I have few queries 1- is it a better idea to move to Australia the first time after getting PR or just stay there for few days, look around n thn make a final move. 2- How about the housing cost for 4 ppl ( 2 kids n 2 adults) .. ( Sydney n Melbourne ) 3- Good areas for muslims where halal food is easily available. ( in Melbourne) Which is better ? Sydney or Melbourne? Ur feedback will be highly beneficial for me. TIA No one can answer your first question for you. It depends on your particular situation. Some people prefer to migrate straight after getting pr. Some validate and come back to save some money before the final move or are not just ready for the move yet. 2. Housing costs you can better get an idea on realestate.Com. au and domain.Com. sydney rentals are expensive than melbourne rentals but there have been a substantial increase in melbourne rentals in last one year and it seems to be on a climb as victoria economy is going strong. 3.Coburg, burnswick is a real easy area full of halal food outlets. Every other shop is either a halal restaurant or butchery or grocery on sydney road but I don't think I would like to live there. Did not get a good feel while there recently. So many Arabs roaming around . We were advised not to look for rentals in that part in melbourne (it's called north? I think) But halal food is not a problem in general in melbourne cbd but ofcourse some suburbs have more options than others.
Latest post on 09 May 2016 - 06:25
We r planning to move either Sydney or Melbourne ... Can someone plz advise me on teaching requirements. If i do cache level3 from Dubai, will it b helpful? Also, is there safety deposit boxes ( lockers) facilities there n approx. how much? Thnkxxx I can only tell about melbourne that safety deposit boxes are available in major banks and they have long waiting lists (6 months plus atleast) in cbd area. You would need to go with private companies who provide this service and should expect to pay atleast 100 dollars more than what a bank would charge for same service. E.g. bank might charge 164 dollars for a yearly rental for the smallest size ..a private company might charge 276 dollars for the same size box yearly rental. If you do plan to arrive with valuables and need something urgent then budget to cough up that much money there is no other way. Also no bank answers call here so if you want to find availability you would have to go from branch to branch physically to enquire and put your name down. Hope it helps.
Latest post on 08 May 2016 - 16:48
We r planning to move either Sydney or Melbourne ... Can someone plz advise me on teaching requirements. If i do cache level3 from Dubai, will it b helpful? Also, is there safety deposit boxes ( lockers) facilities there n approx. how much? Thnkxxx
Latest post on 07 May 2016 - 09:44
Hi mrssak I've only been to Adelaide once for a conference, so I didn't really get to do much whilst I was there. I liked what little I saw. It's smaller than Sydney and Melbourne, and a little cheaper (I think). Public School is free from kindergarten. You don't need free education prior to that because there isn't any form of mandatory preschool prior to kindergarten. I started kindy when I was 4 because my birthday is before July - 100 years ago when I was starting school the rule was that you had to turn 5 within the first 6 months of the school year (our school year starts at the end of Jan) and I think that it's still the same (although there might be some minor variation across different states). You will hear lots of opinions about public vs private schooling, so all I will say is that I attended a public school and got an excellent education, got into a top university and landed a great job. Part time jobs are very common in Australia, as are casual jobs which pay a higher hourly rate but do not have any holiday entitlements or superannuation. I work in the public sector, and job share and part time roles are normal. I'm not sure about housing prices in Adelaide, but you can check out www.domain.com.au or realestate.com.au to get an idea ?
Latest post on 06 May 2016 - 08:27
I am from Sydney, so am contractually obligated to say that it is better than Melbourne ? Both cities have large Muslim populations, so I don't think that needs to dictate your choice. I would be more focused on where you would be more likely to be able to find work. You will be able to find halal food without any problems. In Sydney, suburbs like Rockdale/Hurstville/Arncliffe, Lakemba/Bankstown spring to mind as having large established Muslim communities. This link might be helpful http://www.living-in-sydney.com/muslims-in-sydney-Australia.html You should be aware that housing, particularly in Sydney (and then, particularly in the 15-20km radius of the city), is extremely expensive. Both the rental and purchasing market are eye-watering at the moment. My understanding is that Melbourne is heading in the same direction but isn't quite as bad as Sydney just yet. The suburb that I currently live in is about 12km from the city and rent for a 2bdr apartment is rapidly approaching AUD $600/wk. The lifestyle in both cities is good, albeit different. Very generally, Sydney is a coastal town with a beach lifestyle, whereas Melbourne has lots of interesting alleyways and a cafe and wine bar culture that has sprung up around the laneways. Of course, you can find lots of cafes and small bars in Sydney, but only in certain pockets. Hi little penguin! Sorry to hijack this thread But we also are considering moving to Australia but specifically to Adelaide. Have you ever been there? any information would be great! How are the schools? And it is true that children only get free education starting at the age of 5? How expensive is it? And how's the average salary or rent for a family of 3? Are part time jobs common or just like here? Thank you!
Latest post on 06 May 2016 - 02:49
I am from Sydney, so am contractually obligated to say that it is better than Melbourne ? Both cities have large Muslim populations, so I don't think that needs to dictate your choice. I would be more focused on where you would be more likely to be able to find work. You will be able to find halal food without any problems. In Sydney, suburbs like Rockdale/Hurstville/Arncliffe, Lakemba/Bankstown spring to mind as having large established Muslim communities. This link might be helpful http://www.living-in-sydney.com/muslims-in-sydney-Australia.html You should be aware that housing, particularly in Sydney (and then, particularly in the 15-20km radius of the city), is extremely expensive. Both the rental and purchasing market are eye-watering at the moment. My understanding is that Melbourne is heading in the same direction but isn't quite as bad as Sydney just yet. The suburb that I currently live in is about 12km from the city and rent for a 2bdr apartment is rapidly approaching AUD $600/wk. The lifestyle in both cities is good, albeit different. Very generally, Sydney is a coastal town with a beach lifestyle, whereas Melbourne has lots of interesting alleyways and a cafe and wine bar culture that has sprung up around the laneways. Of course, you can find lots of cafes and small bars in Sydney, but only in certain pockets.
Latest post on 05 May 2016 - 14:42
Both Sydney and Melbourne will have large Muslim communities, mosques, Halal butchers and restaurants. I can't tell you which is better as I am from Perth but I have friends that live or have lived in both. I would recommend that you visit both cities and you can make a better judgement on what works for you and your family - visit the mosque and I am sure they can guide you on the good areas. Good luck!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY