Moving to Dubai from UK | ExpatWoman.com

Moving to Dubai from UK

Latest post on 16 May 2016 - 10:31

Hi everyone

My husband and I are moving to Dubai on 23 July. We already have 30 days accommodation sorted whilst awaiting for our visa to go through but am a little unsure as to what I need to budget for. We are looking for a 2 bed in the marina which is fairly straight forward but what about other costs?
DEWA?
A/C?
TV, Broadband etc?
Mobile phone?
Car leasing (simple 4 door family car)?

Are there any other costs I haven't considered?

We are really excited about the move but budgeting is a nightmare!

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Latest post on 18 May 2016 - 15:59
Forgot to add.... Tv wise there is online FilmOn which is limited but free through Internet. The VPN required to view I player is bad here as its not allowed,so Netflix is good or OSN but a lot of channels we never watch on that.
Latest post on 18 May 2016 - 15:55
You can buy in bulk and a lot cheaper than buying booze in MMI here,by taking a run to Ras Al Kaimah to the cheap booze shop.you may been your residency for that though,can't remember. To start you off buy at the airport on your arrival. Watch out for leasing a car,as they ask you to sign a blank form for possible traffic fines in advance! Going out is very expensive for eating out,so have a look at special deals online. Lots of free ladies' nights so you'll love that! Very busy on the roads here now,and good you are avoiding Ramadan as the driving is worse then. Good luck with the move!
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 18:34
Thanks for the hints and tips :-) One more question, with TV, phone and broadband packages which provider is best Du or Etisalat? Equally as bad as each other ?
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 18:30
Sometimes you don't have a choice..where we lived only Du was available.
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 18:19
Thanks for the hints and tips :-) One more question, with TV, phone and broadband packages which provider is best Du or Etisalat?
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 07:48
All i might add to the advice given here is...Shop around. We found huge variation in prices for things associated with setting up a home (mops...toilet brushes, you know...all the exciting stuff!). Food as well is always worth just keeping an eye on. Eating out...some places are hugely expensive and you can't always tell which it will be, while others are super cheap. Food quality certainly doesn't always follow cost either (though does it anywhere?). You certainly don't have to pay 100 pounds for a mop...but i bet you can :) HTH xx
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 07:18
I do not agree about the wine. It's expensive here. Also you won't be able to buy wine until you have an alcohol license. You can't apply for that till you have your residency visa. I would suggest you bring your maximum allowance in. 4 litres or 6 bottles I think but they will tell you.
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 02:11
My personal tip - Dubai zebra crossings aren't like in the UK, my husband got ran over last week after being there for 9 days... was the drivers fault but you definitely need your wits about you when it comes to the roads. Every tower in the Marina is different so I suggest seeing as many as you can to compare. Bring lots of passport photos with you too
Latest post on 16 May 2016 - 23:49
Thanks Thomas and great tip on the wine, I was wondering how I would survive ? ?
Latest post on 16 May 2016 - 21:56
wine's cheaper here than Sainsbury's !! unless you want really good stuff in bottles not boxes lol Salik tag sticks on your windscreen and charge you 4dhs each time you drive under a toll bridge on the Sheik Zayed Road..not sure how they work on hire cars though... Once you get your visas you'll need an ID card and driving licence - can't remember how much..probably a couple of hundred each..
Latest post on 16 May 2016 - 14:18
Thank you :-)
Latest post on 16 May 2016 - 13:42
Hi everyone My husband and I are moving to Dubai on 23 July. We already have 30 days accommodation sorted whilst awaiting for our visa to go through but am a little unsure as to what I need to budget for. We are looking for a 2 bed in the marina which is fairly straight forward but what about other costs? DEWA? A/C? TV, Broadband etc? Mobile phone? Car leasing (simple 4 door family car)? Are there any other costs I haven't considered? We are really excited about the move but budgeting is a nightmare! Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks Wifi for 16mg is AED350 per month ( It is very slow compared to the UK) TV is around the same but expect to pay more for the more channels you have Look on the DU website for prices, the TV isn't the best here though and full of repeats If your Husband watches football you have to add Bein sports which is more money Mobile phones differ look on Etisilat and DU I pay around 50 pounds per month but it is a 2 year contract where I got the phone free plus 100 mins to the UK and Dubai, 100 SMS in Dubai and 10MB data Housing fee will be added to your DEWA it is 5% of your annual rent paid monthly I cant comment on DEWA though as I live in a one bed and my a/c is included ( My bills all year round are around AED450 ( Winter) and AED550 Summer Car leasing for a decent saloon anything from AED1800 upwards Deposit for DEWA AED2000 and Ejari for rental contract AED200 Finders fee if you use an agent 5% and deposit for apartment 5% Petrol dirt cheap Food ( UK imported expensive) alcohol expensive expect to pay 6 pounds for a bottle of beer ( not a pint) Alcohol licence around AED200 if you want to drink at home

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY