Can single father sponsor a maid? | ExpatWoman.com

Can single father sponsor a maid?

Latest post on 06 July 2016 - 00:38

Dear all,

A single father friend of mine is looking to hire a maid/child minder. He is getting conflicting information as to whether or not he can do this legally given he lives alone with his daughter and hiring a maid would mean living under the same roof as a woman who is not his wife.

I have seen posts here where people say they know of other single fathers having been able to do this.

I would private message to get in touch but can't seem to find how (possibly disabled).

Anyone know anybody who has or is doing this?

Help much appreciated.

Latest post on 17 July 2016 - 16:53
I wouldn't recommend he leave his daughter home with a male nanny, not sure how safe that would be. :( Has he looked at agencies like Howdra? They sponsor the maid for you, the maid is live in 24 hours a day, with one day off a week. When I last enquired they take 3000dhs a month, could be more now but you save the costs and stress of sponsorship. Link to a thread abot Howdra: [url=http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/topic231629-another-company-like-howdra-forum23.aspx'>http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/topic231629-another-company-like-howdra-forum23.aspx[/url'> Do a search on here for Howdra, the names of other similar companies will pop up too.
Latest post on 17 July 2016 - 16:48
Yes he is still searching. He has made inquiries with lawyers whom he feels know what they are talking about and the message seems to be that to make it strictly legal the maid must be a man and NOT a woman. Anyone know different? Anyone know a man servant they could recommend? Servant? :loser:
Latest post on 17 July 2016 - 14:46
Yes he is still searching. He has made inquiries with lawyers whom he feels know what they are talking about and the message seems to be that to make it strictly legal the maid must be a man and NOT a woman. Anyone know different? Anyone know a man servant they could recommend?
Latest post on 12 July 2016 - 14:43
Hi still searching a maid?im interested pls thanks
Latest post on 11 July 2016 - 08:26
Yes a man can as a single father as long as he has dependents under his sponsorship and all the associated documents that go along with that (I guess evidence of where the mother is or if she is deceased).
Latest post on 10 July 2016 - 22:32
I'm fairly confident the answer is no. It does seem rather unfair though. I would double check. It might be that a man without children living in the home is a no, for sure. With children? Maybe...
Latest post on 10 July 2016 - 11:00
Dear all, A single father friend of mine is looking to hire a maid/child minder. He is getting conflicting information as to whether or not he can do this legally given he lives alone with his daughter and hiring a maid would mean living under the same roof as a woman who is not his wife. I have seen posts here where people say they know of other single fathers having been able to do this. I would private message to get in touch but can't seem to find how (possibly disabled). Anyone know anybody who has or is doing this? Help much appreciated. Hi, is your friend still looking for a nanny? Thanks, cristee
Latest post on 08 July 2016 - 11:18
My friend's wife unfortunately died a few years ago. At the time they were sponsoring a maid live-in helper. he was allowed to retain the sponsorship whilst the children were dependent and still at school. Once they finished school and actually left the UAE he could no longer sponsor her.
Latest post on 06 July 2016 - 20:57
Thank you both for your replies. I am pretty sure my friend is looking for a strictly legal solution and I agree this will require his sponsorship or agency. I have nevertheless forwarded your email to him, thank you. In terms of asking immigration, the trouble is that you get a slightly different answer depending on who you speak to and it's difficult to have confidence that the clerk in question actually knows what they are talking about. That's why I proposed trying to find single fathers that had been there done that.
Latest post on 06 July 2016 - 19:17
Dear all, A single father friend of mine is looking to hire a maid/child minder. He is getting conflicting information as to whether or not he can do this legally given he lives alone with his daughter and hiring a maid would mean living under the same roof as a woman who is not his wife. I have seen posts here where people say they know of other single fathers having been able to do this. I would private message to get in touch but can't seem to find how (possibly disabled). Anyone know anybody who has or is doing this? Help much appreciated. If he can't have a live in he could use an agency maid. I would speak with immigration regarding the lie in route. I know the other poster means well but it is always best to either sponsor or have a sponsored one from an agency due to insurance and huge fines if using illegal ones. Also there is no private message function on here

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY