JESS AR vs DESC | ExpatWoman.com

JESS AR vs DESC

Latest post on 01 January 2000 - 00:00

Both excellent very well regarded, non-profit, English curriculum secondaries (though one is IB and the other A levels in 6th form).
Are there any major differences between them, especially academicAlly?
Does anyone have experience at both?

Latest post on 26 October 2016 - 12:34
Sorry Frazzled - I misred your post. You mean yours need a push and they get it at JESS. That's great news. Is there anything specific about JESS and the way the school works that helps with that do you think? Kids sitting on their laurels can easily be missed.... Also, Do they get enough regular homework to keep them on their toes (but Without going overboard!)?
Latest post on 25 October 2016 - 19:22
Hi Frazzled, Hmm, constant prodding, is that by you or the school. If it is the school, then that is very positive as it means teachers are picking up on the need to prod! If by you, then not so good.. Our child is pretty much an all rounder apart from physics! Strong in humanities, languages and maths, slightly less so in sciences.
Latest post on 25 October 2016 - 15:50
I have no experience of DESC but I believe both are good schools. I have 2 bright children needing constant prodding at JESS, who are very happy there and seem to be getting on fine. 6th Form is the big difference and that depends on whether your bright child is an all-rounder or is particularly bright in one area and not so great in others. In my opinion bright all-rounders would do well with IB and keep a lot of career/degree options open to them but anyone wanting to study several sciences or languages in the 6th Form would not have that option available to them under the JESS IB system.
Latest post on 25 October 2016 - 15:24
Anyone have any views as to which is most likely to suit a relatively bright child who does not push themselves without a prod!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY