9 July 2017
Mini Lemon, Blueberry And Cream Cakes
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees or 160 degrees fan oven.
Cut the softened butter into small pieces and cream together with the caster sugar until the mixture is pale and well combined.
Beat the egg in a small bowl and then add to the butter and sugar mixture. Spoon in the vanilla extract and mix well together.
Sieve then add the flour, a little at a time, folding it in thoroughly with each addition.
Stir a teaspoon of milk at a time into the mixture until it reaches the required dropping consistency.
Place small paper cases into a mini muffin tin. Spoon a little of the mixture into the bottom of each paper case, drop a small blob of lemon curd in the centre then cover with a little more cake mixture.
Bake for about 15 minutes, until beginning to brown on the top and baked through. Leave in the tin to cool for 5 minutes then place on a wire rack to cool further.
Whip the cream then pipe swirls onto the cooled cakes, decorating each cake with 3 blueberries. Place them into a cake tin and put in the fridge until ready to serve.
These light and fluffy little cakes are just right for a summer afternoon tea.
* To make a jar of fresh lemon curd:
You will need 4 unwaxed lemons, 200g golden caster sugar, 100g unsalted butter and 6 eggs.
1. Finely zest and juice the lemons, place both in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, not touching the water, to warm.
2. Stir in the sugar, then add the chopped butter and stir until the butter has melted.
3. Beat 4 eggs and 2 yolks together then add gradually to the lemon mixture and stir gently for 12-15 minutes to cook and thicken to a custard consistency.
4. Cool slightly, sieve and then spoon into a clean jar. Cover and chill in the fridge.